Core i5 vs Core i3 in Laptop

slick1o1

Limp Gawd
As title suggests, will I experience better speeds spending the extra cash? Or just buy an i3 and would it hold up as well?

I find that for everyday use, the core i5 laptop I have runs circles around my wife's i3 laptop. but I do more than just surf the web on said laptops...

Depends on what type of i3 and i5, first or second gen. In passmark scores i3's score better then some i5's due to clock speed. The 2nd gen i3's are so fast I doubt you could notice the difference between the 2 without doing benchmarks.

alright cool. I am in the market for a new laptop and don't really know if the extra $100-150 was worth the i5 vs i3.

Plan to just use it as a workhorse, typing, web, videos, etc. Not really gamin.

Sounds like you'd be fine with the i3, the main difference between it and the i5 is Turbo Boost which with the workload you described Turbo Boost wouldn't matter much.

alright cool. I am in the market for a new laptop and don't really know if the extra $100-150 was worth the i5 vs i3.

Plan to just use it as a workhorse, typing, web, videos, etc. Not really gamin.

Any encoding?

I've had Toshiba's ultrabook with the i3 for a few days. We've just been using it for web browsing and such, I haven't had any issues or felt constrained by CPU speed.

-It also has an SSD (admittedly a slow one, but still an SSD), and 4GB RAM.
-Previous laptop was a dual core Centrino2 2GHz with 4GB of RAM.

I've had Toshiba's ultrabook with the i3 for a few days. We've just been using it for web browsing and such, I haven't had any issues or felt constrained by CPU speed.

-It also has an SSD (admittedly a slow one, but still an SSD), and 4GB RAM.
-Previous laptop was a dual core Centrino2 2GHz with 4GB of RAM.

I don't plan on doing any heavy processing of any sort on this laptop, so that's why I didn't worry too much about it only being an i3.

If you're asking the question then the i3 is likely the right option for you.

Possibly.

Thanks for your responses. I will most likely go the i3 route. Its a bit cheaper, and I guess it would keep up the same.

I've done some encoding on an i3 and I have to say it was kind of painful, if you don't mind leaving the computer for some time when do this then the i3 is the better buy. I haven't done it on an i5 mobile but my i7 mobile encodes like a dream (I've done A LOT more then I thought I would).

I don't think I will do enough of it to bother me too much. But I see your point about it.

I've done some encoding on an i3 and I have to say it was kind of painful, if you don't mind leaving the computer for some time when do this then the i3 is the better buy. I haven't done it on an i5 mobile but my i7 mobile encodes like a dream (I've done A LOT more then I thought I would).

my first gen i5 520m is slightly faster than the CPU listed in my sig at encoding DVD to MP4.....

Back