• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Core i3 htpc playback issues

robbbby

n00b
Joined
Jan 2, 2011
Messages
17
Hey guys, i just built a new htpc, made a jump to something a little more efficient and decided on the core i3 540 with on chip gpu. I had done a lot of reading and everything i read said that the hd playback of the core i3 can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it.

Unfortunately for me it hasn't been the case.

I have been having issues with every single media player I have tried causing really bad stuttering. The only player that has done somewhat good is arcsoft total media theatre. It will play a file just fine, then i'll try again later and get stuttering, it's not consistent. windows media center and media player classic are a no go.

I was just hoping somebody could point me in the right direction. The chip is obviously capable of playback but there must be something I am missing. I select the hardware acceleration option under all players but still get really bad stuttering.

Any suggestions for trying to resolve this?

Thanks

edit - forgot to mention, all video drivers are up to date, board is a gigabyte with h55 chipset and 4 gigs of ddr3 1333 gskill ram.
 
i am using win64bit and the only other thing I have installed so far is the matroska media splitter package. I have only tried playing back mkv's.
 
1. Media player classic home cinema, install, reset settings to default when asked.
2. go to options, external filters, choose Microsoft DTV-DVD video decoder, set it to prefer.


also, update your video drivers.
 
what kind of content are you watching? i3 can't properly output 23.976fps video, only 24.000 fps. This causes a judder every 40 sec or so when a frame is repeated to re-sync the source and the playback refresh rate. you'll get this judder on movie (BD/DVD) rips since most of them are mastered in 23.976fps, but stuff with higher frame rates would be fine.

I don't know if its relevent to your issue, but just mentioning it
 
most of the stuff i watch is bluray rips. Is it very noticeable? I haven't seen anybody else mention this and i've read a bunch of forums/reviews of people using the i3 to watch bdroms. Hopefully it isn't that noticeable.
 
most of the stuff i watch is bluray rips. Is it very noticeable? I haven't seen anybody else mention this and i've read a bunch of forums/reviews of people using the i3 to watch bdroms. Hopefully it isn't that noticeable.
I really don't know if thats what your problem is, but its a documented issue with the i3's. I can't say how bad it is because I don't own one. It also seems to vary based on whos watching. Some people don't notice and other people get driven nuts by it. if you've exhausted all your software options, perhaps the next step would be to swap in a different gpu, any gpu, just to test it. If it goes away then the judder could be what you're noticing.
 
Back
Top