• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Core i3 530 - Dedicated GPU?

JDT

n00b
Joined
Sep 26, 2010
Messages
3
Hi,

I've recently purchased an i3 530 as a budget machine which I will OC, and I realised the chip has onboard graphics. Is there any way to disable them on the i3 and use an external card? A friend is selling me a boxed 9600 GT for $50 and I'd prefer to use that.

Thanks,

JDT
 
I've recently purchased an i3 530 as a budget machine which I will OC, and I realised the chip has onboard graphics. Is there any way to disable them on the i3 and use an external card? A friend is selling me a boxed 9600 GT for $50 and I'd prefer to use that.

It also depends on the motherboard that you will be putting that i3-530 in. If the i3-530 is installed on a P55 motherboard, you'll need a discrete graphics card anyway since the chipset does not support the i3's integrated graphics capability. But if that CPU is on an H55 or H57 mobo, you may need to disable the onboard graphics capability in the BIOS with the monitor connected to the motherboard's connector before you install the discrete graphics card.
 
$50 for a used 9600GT? You're friend isn't giving you a deal at all. You can get a better used video card for $50, and for a little more, you can get a GTS250/9800GTX+. That is, if you are gaming, if not, it's not really a big deal.
 
It also depends on the motherboard that you will be putting that i3-530 in. If the i3-530 is installed on a P55 motherboard, you'll need a discrete graphics card anyway since the chipset does not support the i3's integrated graphics capability. But if that CPU is on an H55 or H57 mobo, you may need to disable the onboard graphics capability in the BIOS with the monitor connected to the motherboard's connector before you install the discrete graphics card.

Board is a P7H55-M Pro: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131623

The integrated graphics are quite slow. And the 9600GT is still in the box unused.
 
$50 for a used 9600GT? You're friend isn't giving you a deal at all. You can get a better used video card for $50, and for a little more, you can get a GTS250/9800GTX+. That is, if you are gaming, if not, it's not really a big deal.

Yeah your "friend" isn't really being a friend at all. Tell him to suck it. You can get a much better card for $50 now-a-days.
 
500w no worries I checked. I also wanted to know if this would increase CPU performance since the graphics processing is offloaded to the dedicated card?
 
500w no worries I checked. I also wanted to know if this would increase CPU performance since the graphics processing is offloaded to the dedicated card?

No offense, but can you tell us what PSU you have anyway? Exact make and model? Just because you say it's a 500W PSU doesn't actually mean that it can actually provide 500W of power. There are many 500W PSUs out there that can barely provide 150W of power let alone 500W. So please find out the exact make and model of your PSU. Otherwise, you're just risking your hardawre on an unknown quality PSU.

No, CPU performance is not increased at all by offloading the GPU processing to a dedicated card. The Core i3 and the dual-core Core i5 CPUs have a built-in GPU solely for GPU processing. As such, the CPU itself does not have to deal with GPU processing at all. You're gonna get the same exact CPU performance with the Core i3 with or without that dedicated separate card.
 
Back
Top