Copy Drive

ralphie1313

Limp Gawd
ok so i am running out of room on my 1tb m.2 drive i want to change it to a 2tb but can u just copy a drive exactly windows and all ? will settings get messed up ?

ok so i am running out of room on my 1tb m.2 drive i want to change it to a 2tb but can u just copy a drive exactly windows and all ? will settings get messed up ?
You need some partition management software to copy not just the C: drive but also the other partitions that make the drive bootable.

Some vendors include migration software, and that works fine. In my limited experience Samsung includes its own software and another vendor (I forget which) uses Acronis.

yes. make sure you have 2 x m.2 slots, install it, clone the old to the new using aomei backupper or your preferred cloning tool or what comes with the drive, remove the old, put the new in the olds place and boot off the new one. if you want to use the old, install it in the secondary slot and then format it.

You need some partition management software to copy not just the C: drive but also the other partitions that make the drive bootable.

Some vendors include migration software, and that works fine. In my limited experience Samsung includes its own software and another vendor (I forget which) uses Acronis.
WD offers Acronis for those who buy one of their drives new...
yes. make sure you have 2 x m.2 slots, install it, clone the old to the new using aomei backupper or your preferred cloning tool or what comes with the drive, remove the old, put the new in the olds place and boot off the new one. if you want to use the old, install it in the secondary slot and then format it.
Alternatively, if you don't have a 2nd m.2 slot, you can use an external enclosure, install the new drive in it, close the existing drive to it, then swap them around, boot off the new drive, and wipe the original drive and use it to store stuff on and/or to make a back-up image of your boot drive, just in case...

ok thanks guys i think i have 4 m.2 slots and i will clone it. but just noticed this why is my 2nd drive say disk 0 and the good one say disk 1 should'nt it be the other way around?

Attachments

• disk drive.jpg
    disk drive.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 0
ok thanks guys i think i have 4 m.2 slots and i will clone it. but just noticed this why is my 2nd drive say disk 0 and the good one say disk 1 should'nt it be the other way around?
It doesn't really matter that much, but perhaps you could use the Action menu to "refresh" or "rescan disks" function and see if that changes them around. Or check in your bios that the "C" disk is 1st in your list of choices for boot drives...

It doesn't really matter that much, but perhaps you could use the Action menu to "refresh" or "rescan disks" function and see if that changes them around. Or check in your bios that the "C" disk is 1st in your list of choices for boot drives...
ok will do thanks

Looks like both drives were installed when the os was being installed?
Might be boot files on that D drive

Looks like both drives were installed when the os was being installed?
Might be boot files on that D drive
well the computer before this i bought a new 1tb m.2 and i had a 500mb m.2 from before that so i put both of them in, i nthe last computer and did clean install on the 1tb and had the 500 for second drive so last week i upgraded my mother board and just moved both of them into this one, i think i got to check the manual this new board has 4 slots i think u have to put first drive into a certain slot and so on just like the memory slots just have not had a chance to look at the book

I've used Ease US Partition Manager for years to backup, migrate, clone, copy, and partition my drives.

Back