Copier/printer paper rotation?

SockMan!

2[H]4U
At work we have several copiers with multiple trays for letter-size paper. We have them set to pull this paper from one tray then pull from the next when that tray runs out. Naturally, with this set up the last tray hardly gets used since someone regularly fills up the copier.

My question is: would it make sense to rotate the paper so that the old paper gets used up? If so, then how often? Would the paper 'degrade' significantly if it sits in the tray for months without being used (such as from humidity)? This is an office environment with a fairly controlled indoor climate.

If the paper degrades significantly, why are you printing on it? Either print for posterity or don't print. If for posterity, get paper that doesn't degrade.

I didn't mean 'degrade' as in crumble apart or anything; it's just plain white letter-size copier paper that you can find anywhere.

I guess I didn't phrase my question correctly: I should really be asking people if they had experience with paper handling, care, and storage. For example, if paper left in the paper tray for years would significantly increase paper jams, paper curling, and such and if regular paper rotation would make sense to help reduce the occurrence of issues.

If the paper doesn't yellow significantly with age, it will be fine. If it does yellow, it contains too much acid and will become brittle. If it gets wet and then dries, it will not stay flat and will not run through the printer well.

Most decent inkjet or laser printer paper will last for years. As long as it's stored flat (on the shelf or in a tray) it should be fine.

Another thing to consider is moisture. We've run into issues where the paper is left out in the air too long, gets a little humidity in it, and then it jams in the copier. We've tried numerous types of paper to address this issue. So, unwrapped paper sitting in a printing bin for an extended period of time may be an issue for you.

If the paper doesn't yellow significantly with age, it will be fine. If it does yellow, it contains too much acid and will become brittle. If it gets wet and then dries, it will not stay flat and will not run through the printer well.

Most decent inkjet or laser printer paper will last for years. As long as it's stored flat (on the shelf or in a tray) it should be fine.

How do you know so much about paper?

I hate it when someone put's part of a ream in and leaves the rest on the shelf, either put the whole damn ream in or none at all. I like to wait till the printer is empty or near, it has many drawers for a reason and there are indicators, and fill all the drawers at once

As long as the humidity isn't ridiculous, or it doesn't get wet, you should be fine.

I've seen some hella old paper that just collected dust.

Back