CoolIT Epic 180 info

You can buy it, but you have to buy their SHIFT case with it and the EPIC Audio Engine:

Last edited:
Yep,

now I wish I bought it when the OP was able to buy it without the case too..doh! :rolleyes:

It'll be just a matter of time before some other company makes the same thing.

It'll be just a matter of time before some other company makes the same thing.

It seems like such a niche product. Silverstone cases are the only ones that I know that will take an 18cm Rad "comfortably" without custom cases/mods... I know fans are becoming larger as we move forward, but 14cm fans and rads will have to come before 18cm fans.

It seems like such a niche product. Silverstone cases are the only ones that I know that will take an 18cm Rad "comfortably" without custom cases/mods... I know fans are becoming larger as we move forward, but 14cm fans and rads will have to come before 18cm fans.

There are several cases out there with 200mm fans as well. That would be freaking awesome. A 200mm radiator would have 2.78 times the swept area of a 120mm unit.

They need to sell this Cooler separately, there is demand for it. I will never buy that MainGear computer case, but I will HAPPILY BUY the CoolIT Epic 180 H20 cpu cooler :cool:.

PnkPwrRngr,

how has this 180mm cpu cooler performed for you so far? Any complaints or things performance aspects that you surprised you in a good way?

PnkPwrRngr,

how has this 180mm cpu cooler performed for you so far? Any complaints or things performance aspects that you surprised you in a good way?

I wish I could comment... I was not one of the lucky ones who was able to purchase the cooler separately. I've only only witnessed one person on the entire internets who was able to purchase the Epic 180 without buying the case. Let me know if you have any luck finding a place to buy one.

PnkPwrRngr,

I wound up with one, and it has been serving me pretty well thus far :)

I haven't been able to do a ton of comparative testing other than what is earlier in this thread due to me not being a professional reviewer, and neither having the time (or the other coolers) to do a massive barrage of testing.

It has been keeping my nuclear power plant of a Sandy Bridge-E chip under control at 4.6Ghz, even in full loads using Intel Burn Test (which gets much hotter than Prime95) so I can't complain there.

Other than that, I haven't been doing much with it since my original tests above, since no one can buy it anyway, I feel like its a waste of my time.

Is the raven bracket a must use? Meaning can I use this on other cases?

You could build a custom loop with a masscool 180mm rad for not much over what Zarahustra paid for one of these. I understand the ease of use of a sealed unit but a custom loop would net you better temps and could probably handle a video card too.

You could build a custom loop with a masscool 180mm rad for not much over what Zarahustra paid for one of these. I understand the ease of use of a sealed unit but a custom loop would net you better temps and could probably handle a video card too.

Yeah, for me it was more of a peace of mind thing. Never having to worry about leaks, algae growth, additives, cleaning/replacing the water, etc. made this the choice for me.

I'd love to build a custom loop some day, but with work, wife and kids, the time and effort is probably not going to be there.

Is the raven bracket a must use? Meaning can I use this on other cases?

You can use it on any case you want, but I think you'll find that with most cases, it simply won't fit without customization.

It's not that hard to cut your own 180mm hole and drill your own screw holes to mount it in a case.

As far as preexisting 180mm fan mounts, I haven't seen them in non Silverstone cases. It seems to really be a Silverstone format, unfortunately.

Either way, it doesn't matter anymore, as MainGear appear to have decided to not sell these without a complete system, which is unfortunate. It's a great cooler. I consider myself lucky that I got one when I did.

Zarathustra[H];1039055319 said:
Yeah, for me it was more of a peace of mind thing. Never having to worry about leaks, algae growth, additives, cleaning/replacing the water, etc. made this the choice for me.

I'd love to build a custom loop some day, but with work, wife and kids, the time and effort is probably not going to be there.

Its really not very difficult. The research and preparation is the most time consuming part. Swapping out a case is way more time consuming.

http://www.maingear.com/boutique/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1007
If you want the cooler, you can get it know. Great right?

No! You have to buy the freakin chassis. For 649 dolars. Side window will cost you an extra 130.

Thinking about it for christmas gift to myself. But do i want the rumored amd 8970 and some new ssd's or this?

If i get it, ill keep the thread updated.

For most the Corsair H100 will be a better buy.

Yes, the performance of the EPIC 180 is a little bit better, but that's a LOT more expensive for a little bit better.

I think the case makes or breaks the cooler if you ask me. The cooler, i would never buy. The case on the other hand, i think is pretty sexy. Maybe the best looking one out there. And if you deduct the 200 for the cooler, you're at 580 for a pretty good case. Compare that to other case's in the range, IE: im sure lian li has some, silverstone (although their top tier cases are more meant for extreme wc'ers), i'd take this any day of the week.

Just my thoughts. You gotta admit, they did do a nice job with it. And if you look at the gallery, it makes it look even better.

I think the case makes or breaks the cooler if you ask me. The cooler, i would never buy. The case on the other hand, i think is pretty sexy. Maybe the best looking one out there. And if you deduct the 200 for the cooler, you're at 580 for a pretty good case. Compare that to other case's in the range, IE: im sure lian li has some, silverstone (although their top tier cases are more meant for extreme wc'ers), i'd take this any day of the week.

Just my thoughts. You gotta admit, they did do a nice job with it. And if you look at the gallery, it makes it look even better.

As I recall that case is just a modified Silverstone Raven RV01 case.

If you aren't that into the cooler you can get the original version of it cheaper... Sells for ~$200...

Ya it is a remake of the rv01, but the rv01 has problems with the door not working+ if you ask me, it looks pretty ugly.

I like the looks and the brushed aluminum of the maingear, although i bet it leaves finger print marks like some of silverstones. :(

Ya it is a remake of the rv01, but the rv01 has problems with the door not working+ if you ask me, it looks pretty ugly.

I like the looks and the brushed aluminum of the maingear, although i bet it leaves finger print marks like some of silverstones. :(

For that amount of money I'd check out the Temjin TJ11 case. Similar features, and it is a nice looking case.

Zarathustra[H];1039055326 said:
You can use it on any case you want, but I think you'll find that with most cases, it simply won't fit without customization.

It's not that hard to cut your own 180mm hole and drill your own screw holes to mount it in a case.

As far as preexisting 180mm fan mounts, I haven't seen them in non Silverstone cases. It seems to really be a Silverstone format, unfortunately.

Either way, it doesn't matter anymore, as MainGear appear to have decided to not sell these without a complete system, which is unfortunate. It's a great cooler. I consider myself lucky that I got one when I did.

aah shit its a moot point then

thanks for the heads up

Marketing shows there is no call for 180mm sealed loop coolers but I personally disagree, so I would like to get some hard numbers in this regard.

We will be using them in our new ITX chassis but are required to order a large amount from our OEM.

We may not necessarily be able to sell that many chassis as required for our minimum order, so naturally the only solution is to sell the cooler separate - however it is quite expensive.

Thus, a solution we are potentially exploring is to sell them separately at next to no profit (e.g. $1 profit) in order to facilitate the minimum order requirements.

However, even at no profit they are expensive to resell, so we need a good incentive to do it.

For cases like the sg08 (I believe that is the s.s with the 180 fan in front), there will always be interest and usage.

Marketing shows there is no call for 180mm sealed loop coolers but I personally disagree, so I would like to get some hard numbers in this regard.

We will be using them in our new ITX chassis but are required to order a large amount from our OEM.

We may not necessarily be able to sell that many chassis as required for our minimum order, so naturally the only solution is to sell the cooler separate - however it is quite expensive.

Thus, a solution we are potentially exploring is to sell them separately at next to no profit (e.g. $1 profit) in order to facilitate the minimum order requirements.

However, even at no profit they are expensive to resell, so we need a good incentive to do it.

How much are we talking?

How much are we talking?

Including shipping, tax, customs duty, packaging (I have to buy the boxes to pack it in unfortunately) and the token profit to class it as a business expenditure, it would be about $275 AUD at the moment, with the price rapidly dropping if we can order more at a time.

Bear in mind this is a dual head unit though, which includes a universal GPU waterblock as well.

Including shipping, tax, customs duty, packaging (I have to buy the boxes to pack it in unfortunately) and the token profit to class it as a business expenditure, it would be about $275 AUD at the moment, with the price rapidly dropping if we can order more at a time.

Bear in mind this is a dual head unit though, which includes a universal GPU waterblock as well.

What's that about a gpu block? You mean they integrated something like the accelero hybrid?

More details needed.
The base EPIC180 does not include two heads.

Its a product sold under the Endoframe Brand (hopefully) soon.

Its not the Stock EPIC 180, but the same OEM. We are working with them to finalize the design.

Back