• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cooling in an SG-01

Viper87227

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
18,017
I have been hunting around for optional heatsinks for a build I am planning in an SG-01... and keep coming up empty.

So, let's have it, what fits? I know silverstone has a cooler for it, but I dont want to drop $60 on it. By the looks of it the 7000Cu fits also, thay may work also. I also have a stock DC Opteron sink, which can certainly hold its own, but I would put a different fan on. I have some nice and silent ac fans, but they are 35mm thick, so i'm nto sure I could clear it. Either that, or a 120mm fan and an 80 -> 120 converter would work rather well. I've got a few yate loons lying about. Silence is most important. However, I am not sure I would have enough room for such a solution.

So, let's have it, i'll take any suggestions. Best performance at the lowest possible noise is the goal.

Also, while I am at it... do the AC Silencers fit in the SG-01? I don't see why they wont, but wonder if they will clear that metal thinger where the fans are. I suppose I could always chop that, but I'd like to not cut anything if I can avoid it.
 
From experience, the opty cooler and the 7000cu both fit. Now I'm running WC on my SG01.
 
FooTemps said:
From experience, the opty cooler and the 7000cu both fit. Now I'm running WC on my SG01.

I originally wanted to WC... but I think it will just be to much hassle. Ive got my main rig for WCing fun, this i want to just set it up, get it running and never have to touch it again.
 
You can fit an XP120 in it just fine, although you'll be running it passive.
 
igl00jx said:
You can fit an XP120 in it just fine, although you'll be running it passive.

Passive is not really my aim if I could get better results from a different cooler with a silent fan.
 
Have you looked into the silverstone NT06 heatsink? It was designed specifically for that case. If you have a psu with a 120mm fan on the bottom it sits directly under it and uses the fan on the psu to pull air through it.
 
neogenesis2004 said:
Have you looked into the silverstone NT06 heatsink? It was designed specifically for that case. If you have a psu with a 120mm fan on the bottom it sits directly under it and uses the fan on the psu to pull air through it.


Yeah, ive seen it, and its rather expensive. I won't be getting that. The PSU I am getting doesnt have a 120mm on bottom anyways. Right now I am leaning towars a 7000Cu
 
Viper87227 said:
Yeah, ive seen it, and its rather expensive. I won't be getting that. The PSU I am getting doesnt have a 120mm on bottom anyways. Right now I am leaning towars a 7000Cu
lol ya a psu w/o 120mm fans on the bottom would rule out that option :p

zalman cnps8000? still kinda pricey tho (~$50)
 
Both the Zalman 7000 and 7700 series fit in this case. I moved from the 7700 to the Silverstone NT06. It was worth the extra money to go passive.

What PSU are you going to use in your setup?

-E
 
MrE said:
Both the Zalman 7000 and 7700 series fit in this case. I moved from the 7700 to the Silverstone NT06. It was worth the extra money to go passive.

What PSU are you going to use in your setup?

-E

As said before, passive and I dont play nice together. Silence I want, but i'm an overclocker at heart. I will take a near silent heatsink and better clocks over passive cooling any day.

The PSU I plan to use is an Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W. Pleanty of wattage for what its going to have in it, its getting good reviews, and its modular. Should do me nicely.

Soymilk said:
lol ya a psu w/o 120mm fans on the bottom would rule out that option :p

zalman cnps8000? still kinda pricey tho (~$50)

The 8000 is something ive yet to look into. I coudlnt find it on the egg and assumed it wasnt out yet.
 
if you'd already had a psu w/ a 120mm fan on the bottom, i'd suggest going for the nt06 if you want the best temps; it's the best thing there is for the sg01 passive, it works perfectly with the psu. but buying a new psu just for the nt06 would b kinda too much money to spend imo :p a psu w/o bottom mounted fans might give good results too w/ a heatsink since they wont b fighting with each other. you'll probably want to look into getting the crossflow fan too, though (costs ~$20)
 
I will be getting the xflow fan.


Now, as far as the whole nt06 thing goes.... i can change the PSU, i dont have it yet. However, would the nt06 passive with a PSU with bottom 120 outperform the zalman 8000. I dont see how it could. The zalam is quiet enough... I dont need passive.
 
Viper87227 said:
I will be getting the xflow fan.


Now, as far as the whole nt06 thing goes.... i can change the PSU, i dont have it yet. However, would the nt06 passive with a PSU with bottom 120 outperform the zalman 8000. I dont see how it could. The zalam is quiet enough... I dont need passive.
im not sure, but i think it will. the nt06 is a beast of a cooler, and i think it was specifically designed to be able to use w/ a sg01 in this fashion. at least, the measurements come out so exact that its kind of hard to believe otherwise.

the reason why it does so well is because normally air is being fought over by the psu trying to pull up and the heatsink fan trying to pull down, which messes stuff up. with the nt06, it's not being fought over.

keep in mind though, that if you do opt for the nt06, i don't think the crossflow fan will fit.

to put it in perspective, here's sfftech's review of the nt06 used with the sg01; temps are compared with a qpack and a sg01 w/ the nt03: http://www.sfftech.com/index.php?/articles/show/silverstone_nitrogon_nt06_review/
 
the crossflow fan should work fine. I saw another review somewhere that had them paired together... so i forsee no issues. Still not sure thats the route I want to take though. If I got something else and the original PSU I wanted, they would not be fighting for air, and then I dont have hot air from the heatsink being pulled up into the PSU.
 
CNPS8000 is probably the best solution from a performance point of view:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/rd.php/...030bcd47d43ec4d9d72dc56e91ba4/search=cnps8000

However, I really think that stock DC sink kicks ass and the CNPS8000 is really just a minor improvement for an extra $50. The stock sink just needs a better fan. The measly 80*15 just does not cut it. It compares to an XP-90, so it already outperforms a Zalman 7000.

If you don't do the 120 -> 80mm shroud or the Zalman, another option is a Silverstone FN82 fan. It's a 92mm fan in an 80mm frame that screws right onto the stock heatsink! It claims 26dba, but I would probably 7v or attach it to a Zalman fanmate as I think it falls closer to a medium noise. Put one on my parents' stock heatsink and noise drastically went down!
I would like to give you temp differences, but did not bother comparing them, because I was not trying to push their system too hard and mainly doing it for noise reduction.
 
Viper87227 said:
the crossflow fan should work fine. I saw another review somewhere that had them paired together... so i forsee no issues. Still not sure thats the route I want to take though. If I got something else and the original PSU I wanted, they would not be fighting for air, and then I dont have hot air from the heatsink being pulled up into the PSU.
according to dworley the crossflow fan doesnt fit with the nt06 :eek:
 
the xp120 does yes, but it leaves like a cm of space below the psu. That is why the nt06 is best for this method because it leaves almost no space. The aids in airflow through the fins. Also depending on your mobo you can fit a fan underneath the nt06 to blow air up through it.
 
Back
Top