Coolermaster Hyper 212+

vtx_

Gawd
Wow. Load temperatures are down over 20 C from the stock Phenom II cooler.

I would definitely recommend this. Loading around 48-49 C while running the Intel Burn Test.

275x14.5 @ 1.5vcore

I am going to try to push it to 4.2 if I can

i've been happy with mine, for the week that i've had it up and running. great performance/dollar ratio!

Without a doubt the best value cooler on the market right now (in the UK at least).

That's why I always recommend getting at least the Hyper 212+ for any setup, even if you're not overclocking. It keeps things so much cooler for a relatively low price.

Here is what I am at right now for an overclock. Ran Intel Stress test for about an hour with no errors, and temps never went above 54 C.

275x15 @ ~1.55v

Thinking of jumping ship from an N520 to a 212+. To everyone who's been getting good temps...how have you applied the TIM on a direct-heatpipe-contact cooler like this? Also, is a second 120mm fan really nessecary?

Do the sandy bridges come with a tower heat sink? I have a i7-970 heatsink and a new 212+ laying around. Dunno if i should replace or sell?

The actual boxed Sandy Bridge CPUs - including the K-series CPUs - come with the same type of heatsink as their non-K Socket LGA 1156 predecessors. I definitely would not overclock above 4.0GHz or so on any of those stock LGA 1155 Intel coolers.

By the way, I have a Hyper 212+ HSF on my auxiliary i7-920 editing system. It does keep the CPU temps fairly cool, especially if the fan is set to spin at full speed full-time (at which point the fan noise is moderate). The weak point is IMHO the CPU/motherboard combo that's in that system: I could not get that CPU/mobo combo to overclock past 3.67GHz without raising the CPU core voltage above Intel's nominal upper rating of 1.225V (Intel says CPU core voltages should not exceed 1.375V or so with a D0-stepping CPU).

Last edited:
Thinking of jumping ship from an N520 to a 212+. To everyone who's been getting good temps...how have you applied the TIM on a direct-heatpipe-contact cooler like this? Also, is a second 120mm fan really nessecary?

Honestly I tried to apply it exactly the way all the instructions tell you to by making nice little lines down the spaces between the pipes or on the pipes. Well I ended up with a mess so I just took the coffee filter I used to clean the cpu spread it out and stuck it on there. Sue me. :D It works just fine.

Interesting URL... ??

if it's the same guide i used, it's from benchmark reviews and for some reason posting their links doesn't work. google "best thermal paste application methods" and it's the first link, look at the section of that article that addresses HDT coolers. that's the method i used and it seems to work well.

if it's the same guide i used, it's from benchmark reviews and for some reason posting their links doesn't work. google "best thermal paste application methods" and it's the first link, look at the section of that article that addresses HDT coolers. that's the method i used and it seems to work well.

Thanks - found it! Just ordered this heatsink for my future upgrade.

The Hyper 212 is pretty awesome. It does what it needs to do. The only reason I didnt keep mine was because I like Diesel coolers. Was 2 small for me :)

Last edited:
I was a bit disappointed with mine when I slapped it onto my Q9300 and saw idle temps in the upper 40's°C using Real Temp. Load temps in mid/upper 70's overclocked. I pulled it off and found that I could clearly read the chip information on the CPU case because I had applied AS5 to the side heat pipes but not the middle- no contact at all between the case and the heatsink above the cores :eek:.

Figured it was an easy fix and followed the correct AS5 instructions for a quad core. Nope, still idled in the upper 40's. Tried again with less paste, still no dice.

A lot of reading later and I now understand that the temp sensors in my chip are probably whack and despite what temp programs are saying it is likely significantly cooler than reported thanks to the 212+.

I am interested in this cooler, too. The only thing that concerns me about the 212+ is how it can rotate on it's axis. Doesn't that break the seal and introduce air bubbles? Or is it really difficult to rotate it?

I am interested in this cooler, too. The only thing that concerns me about the 212+ is how it can rotate on it's axis. Doesn't that break the seal and introduce air bubbles? Or is it really difficult to rotate it?

Once mine is locked down it is on pretty tight. The base won't rotate more than a degree or two. However, it can be a pain getting the upper brace in place after setting the cooler onto the CPU, and it is possible to move the base a little bit during installation if you aren't careful.

I got one today and it was pretty painful to install and the heatsink is blocking my PSU fan a little being so huge.

But load temps went down by some 10 celsius and it's quiet as hell compared to the AMD boxed hsf running at almost 7000rpm for me.
First time I booted up with 212+ I thought I forgot to hook up the fan, it was so quiet.

I agree this cooler is the one of the best value cpu coolers on the market. I have one on my 2600k and it keeps it cool. 56*C @ load, OC'd to 4.5GHz, folding 24/7

Back