Cooler Master Vertical GPU bracket compatibility

Hey all! I got an itch today to mount my watercooled 1080 vertically. After browsing a bit, this is the bracket that I best like the look of:

https://store.coolermaster.com/vertical-display-graphics-card-holder

I understand I'd need to mod my case, removing the PCI slot bars at least, but barring that, can you guys think of any reason this wouldn't work in any mid tower with 7 PCIe slots? It says it's made for Cooler Master cases, but I was under the impression that PCI slot dimensions were pretty much standardized.

Realize this is not exactly on topic, although somewhat related...based on the very few pics I've seen it appears that this bracket would block the rest of your PCI-E slots.

Is that right?

Hey all! I got an itch today to mount my watercooled 1080 vertically. After browsing a bit, this is the bracket that I best like the look of:

https://store.coolermaster.com/vertical-display-graphics-card-holder

I understand I'd need to mod my case, removing the PCI slot bars at least, but barring that, can you guys think of any reason this wouldn't work in any mid tower with 7 PCIe slots? It says it's made for Cooler Master cases, but I was under the impression that PCI slot dimensions were pretty much standardized.

I have been wondering the Same thing, that was pictured 6 months ago and I am glad to see it is finally available. It seems to me that it would fit with minimal cutting in the case, but I have not seen it in an actual install yet. In doing research on this mod, the thing I found was to make sure to read reviews on the different PCI-E riser connectors available. It seems that some work and some don't. Good luck and please post an update if you try it.

Realize this is not exactly on topic, although somewhat related...based on the very few pics I've seen it appears that this bracket would block the rest of your PCI-E slots.

Is that right?

Yes , it would block the rest of the slots, but in my case, I am using onboard LAN and sound, so no other slots are in use.

I'm actually just modding in my own bracket. I decided that since I'd be cutting my case either way, I may as well not make my regular expansion slots useless.

IMG_20170614_074806839.jpg

Work is ongoing. I'll update when I'm finished. =)

Nice !! Did u make the Bracket or remove it from an old case? Like the PCIE riser mount too.

Nice !! Did u make the Bracket or remove it from an old case? Like the PCIE riser mount too.
The PCI slots were cannibalized from another case. I fabricated the brackets from an aluminum side panel. They still need paint, but this is just a test fit. =)

Good job...I like it!.

...and

(A) Thanks for the clarification / confirmation about the impact on the other PCI-E slots from using the CM bracket.

(B) Also curious as to where you got your riser. It isn't the standard grey cable type you see all the time.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Turned out pretty good. I'd offer up one tiny suggestion, if you haven't already considered it, swap out those shiny bolts for black ones (or carefully touch them up with a sharpie) so they would better match the rest of the case hardware.

Turned out pretty good. I'd offer up one tiny suggestion, if you haven't already considered it, swap out those shiny bolts for black ones (or carefully touch them up with a sharpie) so they would better match the rest of the case hardware.
Yeah, I've definitely thought of it. I'd like to get some of the proper black kind, not just painted, but M3 hardware is pretty tough to source locally. I might make an online order though.

The dang reservoir I ordered back on the 6th still hasn't shipped, so now would be as good a time as any to two-day Amazon some color-matched hardware. XD

Our local Home Depot has a small amount of M3, as do the ACE Hardware so that's where I go whenever I need anything. Another alternative is hobby shops where they sell parts for building your own radio controlled planes. Those type places usually have a pretty good selection of the smaller nuts & bolts.

That said, tape the area off and give the Sharpie a try. If it doesn't satisfy you, then order hardware, but you might be able to avoid placing the order.

I dig this, I wonder if I should do it to my Enthoo.
Something I realized after the fact is that if I decide I don't like it / want to go SLI or something, I didn't actually drill any new holes in the floor of the case. I can remove the lower brackets and it'll be stock, excepting the PCI bracket in the back.

All done!

I took Reefa_Madness ' advice and replaced the hardware that's visible from the interior with black.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find black hardware for the exterior stuff locally... I did find acorn nuts though, so the back end doesn't have any protruding screw threads anymore.

The other upgrades pictured here are the Aqualis DDC 150 res and EK housing. Also trying out some black coolant dye for a "smoked" look... I really like what it does with the red LED ring.

What do you all think?

IMG_20170628_165433_01.jpg

The red theme looks great but the power supply label and video card accents don't match. ^.^ Red nail polish maybe?

The red theme looks great but the power supply label and video card accents don't match. ^.^ Red nail polish maybe?
That'd be taking it to the next level, but they don't bother me much. The PSU label gets covered when the windowed side panel is on, and the card is backlit only and only by red lights, so the orange effectively looks red.

A follow up question...had you seen this prior to making your mod? Yours turned out just as good in my opinion, better actually cause your GPU isn't floating (has support for the cable slot).

http://www.mountainmods.com/pci-modular-io-bracket-brushed-alu-p-701.html

Here is a tutorial of someone installing the Mountain Mods unit, should anyone be interested.

I hadn't watched any videos, no, but I'm kindof an old hand with sheet metal. I used to build airplanes. (y)

I'd just never applied it to a computer case. I decided early in my planning that some form of support under the card was a necessity; this Gigabyte with a full cover water block had a shipping weight of six pounds. :nailbiting:

Back