• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cooler Master V8 any good?

biggles

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 25, 2005
Messages
2,225
I just built a new pc with the intel core i7 920 cpu. I selected the Cooler Master V8 for cpu cooling. This unit has a 5 star rating on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055&Tpk=cooler master v8
This week I found this article comparing a whole bunch of cpu coolers. It did not think highly of the Cooler Master V8:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...k=view&id=285&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=14
I plan to do moderate overclocking in the future. Maximum about 3.6 ghz. Did I pick a good cpu cooler or not?
 
search the forums.. its been answered way to many times..

sorry to sound like an an ass.. but theres atleast 5 new threads asking about the CoolerMaster v8 every week..
 
the v8 is up there with the best of them.....not a bad buy at all, theres articles where it beats out the TRUE, some it's neck and neck, some its off by a couple degrees, you can't fault it really apart from it being HUGE, it really is a beast.
 
search the forums.. its been answered way to many times..

sorry to sound like an an ass.. but theres atleast 5 new threads asking about the CoolerMaster v8 every week..

When I did a forum search on the 2 character string "v8" I got no results. I assume you need at least 3 or 4 characters in a string to do a search here. Care to post some links in this thread?
 
Try searching for 'Coolermaster V8' instead, and limiting the search to the Overclocking & Cooling sub-section... You'll get plenty of relevant hits. From what I've seen it's large and it costs about the same as the TRUE once you add a fan to that one, so it's kind of a wash. It does look cool though. :p Doesn't seem like it's any heavier than the TRUE tho.
 
Or you could try browsing through the OC subforums, there are plenty of other threads already without having to use the search function.

But to answer your original question. YES. It is 'any' good.
 
For 3.6ghz youll be fine running one for sure.
Over 3.7-3.8ghz its starts getting a little warm.

If you wanted to stay around 3.8-4ghz range I would suggest a better 120x25 fan for it. Like a nice Delta fan upgrade. Newegg and everywhere else I checked was out of them when I still had a HSF before water.
 
It's an excellent cooler. My rig idles in the low 40's C, and never goes above low 50's under load while gaming. Haven't really stress tested much, because i'm happy with performance at 3.2Ghz. It's also pretty quiet, even on high. Highly recommended if your case is large enough.
 
I just looked at this review posted on the hardocp front page:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/979/17/
It showed the v8 idling at 33c and running 59c at load. Mine runs at 40c idle and around 70c load (prime95, realtemp 3.00 program). CPU is i7 920 running at stock speed, Antec p183 case.

Also, I read on newegg that the v8 install instructions have a mistake that picture the cooler installed backwards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=False&VendorMark=&Keywords=mistake&Page=1

Since my temps are higher than expected, is it possible the v8 is installed backwards? Would I be able to determine this by simply opening up the case?
 
Last edited:
Since my temps are higher than expected, is it possible the v8 is installed backwards? Would I be able to determine this by simply opening up the case?

The drawing does show the incorrect orientation for airflow. Just turn the cooler 180 degrees, so the logo is readable in a top/down orientation when your case is in its normal upright position.

The easiest way to test is to take a small piece of paper (1" x 1") and hold it against the side facing the memory slots. It should stick to the side, since that's the intake. (Of course, that's assuming the fan hasn't been removed and accidently rotated 180 degrees.)
 
I just looked at this review posted on the hardocp front page:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/979/17/
It showed the v8 idling at 33c and running 59c at load. Mine runs at 40c idle and around 70c load (prime95, realtemp 3.00 program). CPU is i7 920 running at stock speed, Antec p183 case.

Also, I read on newegg that the v8 install instructions have a mistake that picture the cooler installed backwards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=False&VendorMark=&Keywords=mistake&Page=1

Since my temps are higher than expected, is it possible the v8 is installed backwards? Would I be able to determine this by simply opening up the case?

remember hardocp does not review HSF's with cases.. its an open bench.. so the temps are not going to be any where near what you will see inside a case..
 
It wasn't a HardOCP review (see the link?), and either way you shouldn't be seeing a 10C rise in temperatures going from an open test bench to a case unless the case is just suffocating and has like no airflow... Some heatsinks even perform better in certain cases than on the bench (there's an exhaust right behind it on most case designs, some of them isolate it from PSU/GPU, etc).
 
Just wondering if anybody has tried replacing the fan on the Cooler Master v8. Curious if a faster fan would make much difference in load temps.
 
Just for my two cents I probably wouldn't buy one again. For the price it isn't too far off from a TRUE, or the Noctua double fan 120mm cooler. If I change coolers I may go with that because the Cooler Master is pretty noisy. Or at least mine is. And you have to turn the fan speed way up for it to keep my i7 cool, at an admittedly high 3.8GHz.
 
Just wondering if anybody has tried replacing the fan on the Cooler Master v8. Curious if a faster fan would make much difference in load temps.

I haven't tried it though I have seen sites take it apart so it is possible. It's a standard size 120mm fan although this one has a knob wired to it.
 
Back
Top