Cooler Master Gemin II S524 Socket 2011 Mounting

Zoson

Supreme [H]ardness
The mounting system for LGA2011 is... HORRIBLE.
The overhang on the heatsink coupled with the crowded nature of the LGA2011 socket makes it nearly impossible to install.

You have to use this tiny little wrench with a tab over it to push down on the nut(because of the springs) while you screw them in.
Memory on both sides, a heatsink for the VRM on a third, and the Gemin II overhangs all of it...

Took nearly 45 minutes of wrangling to get all four screwed down. :mad:

Now I know why _every_ other mount they have for this heatsink screws in from the bottom. :rolleyes:

That said... It seems to cool well enough. I haven't booted into windows yet, but 40C in bios at stock and 800rpm fan speed!

I used AS2 and not AS5 or Shin Etsu X23-7783d, so I could probably shave another couple degrees off when I remount(I plan to, I was just making sure everything worked).:p

Last edited:
Didn't they introduce AS5 like in 2003 or 2004. So AS2 was discontinued before that. Your TIM is at least 10 years old! :eek:

But it's OK I've been using AS5 from 2004 when doing quick tests and it still does the job (though IDK how big of a difference it makes compared to new AS5).

Didn't they introduce AS5 like in 2003 or 2004. So AS2 was discontinued before that. Your TIM is at least 10 years old! :eek:

But it's OK I've been using AS5 from 2004 when doing quick tests and it still does the job (though IDK how big of a difference it makes compared to new AS5).

Pretty sure I bought the AS2 in 2000... It's ancient! It looked fine coming out of the tube, so I figured I should use it. I've got maybe one more mount left. It wasn't separated at all, I was fairly surprised!
The syringe has certainly seen better days though.

Back