Coolant compatibility with pump?

Not really. Then pastel coolants ain't popular cause they like to gunk everything up over time and tend to separate. Other than that you should be fine.

Yep. Just make sure your fluid is clear. It can have a color, but it can't be opaque.

I don't care what the manufacturer writes in th emarketing material. If the fluid is opaque, it will eventually cause you problems.

Thanks, looking at using Something like Liquid Utopia with Distilled Water or DI if I can find it locally.

Don't worry about the differences between distilled and DI. For water cooling purposes they are the same. Just never use tap.

I have heard good things about Liquid Utopia too. Personally I have been using EK's translucent Cryofuel lately, as it seems easier and quicker to find it. (They even used to carry it at Microcenter, so I could just go get it, but now they only carry the opaque stuff :( )

Just don't mix coolants. That can have unpredictable results, as you don't know exactly what chemicals are in them. It's also safer to buy pre-dyed coolants if you want color, not to try to dye them yourself. Whatever you do, never, ever, nerver use food coloring!

Don't worry about the differences between distilled and DI. For water cooling purposes they are the same. Just never use tap.

I have heard good things about Liquid Utopia too. Personally I have been using EK's translucent Cryofuel lately, as it seems easier and quicker to find it. (They even used to carry it at Microcenter, so I could just go get it, but now they only carry the opaque stuff :( )

Just don't mix coolants. That can have unpredictable results, as you don't know exactly what chemicals are in them. It's also safer to buy pre-dyed coolants if you want color, not to try to dye them yourself. Whatever you do, never, ever, nerver use food coloring!
I ran my current system with it and distilled water for 2 year. I broke it down last week to sell parts and 5he water was still clean. No corrosion or growth in the loop at all.

I ran my current system with it and distilled water for 2 year. I broke it down last week to sell parts and 5he water was still clean. No corrosion or growth in the loop at all.

When you say "it" which of the things I mentioned above are you talking about?

If I were doing water cooling again, I would probably use car coolant. It has lubrication properties and anti corrosion properties, as well as biocide.

If I were doing water cooling again, I would probably use car coolant. It has lubrication properties and anti corrosion properties, as well as biocide.

How conductive is it though?

I guess if you self mix the concentrate with DI or distilled water it could be ok.

I'm happy with EK's Cryofuel though. I originally chose it because I was concerned about the nickel coatings on my EK blocks after that problem they had years ago, and figured the safest thing to use would be whatever EK tests with, which presumably is the fluid they themselves sell.

I haven't been disappointed.

When I took my old EK Supremacy Evo nickel coated all copper block block off a year ago after 2 years of use it was completely clean. No growth or visible corrosion at all.

I'm guessing most of these fluids have very similar ingredients. They probably rely primarily on ethylene or propylene glycol. Both of these in the right concentration do all three things you need from a coolant. They act as corrosion inhibitors, biocides AND surfactants.

Back