• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cool running 754 for sff

sSpeedy

n00b
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
36
Hi, I have the first series of the Athlon 64's in my XPC. (It's always run hot but I just thought it was normal for the cpu) BF2142 causes me to peg right past 70c.
CS and WoW still play fine (50-56c). From the moment I start playing bf2142 the fan hits high speed and never maintains control of the temps. I run the system with the cover off.

I am thinking I have basically two choices with the system..
Replace the cpu with a new efficient one or get a MB, heatsink and tower.

I'm thinking the cheaper way would be to used a new cooler cpu...
This system is going to my son at Christmas time and I want to make sure it will serve him well for a couple years. Has 1gig of good ram and x850 so it would be a shame to waste when it's still capable.

I see venice cores beeing mentioned a lot on here as beeing good at overclocking...If it oc's it should be an efficient chip I would think...
Also, I see Semprons and Turions
Are they the same cpu but just named different?

Thanks for any and all help.
 
All A64's on 754 use the 130nm process, so getting a cool running one isn't going to happen. The Semprons for 754 are 90nm me thinks, and run far cooler. The 3100 can be overclocked a long way. If you want to keep the system then this might be your best bet. However if its an early Shuttle then you may need to update the bios in order for the Sempron to work.

Venice are the 90nm version of the A64 but for the 939 socket, if getting a new Shuttle is fine then this is a good bet if you don't want to put more money into an C2D system.

Oh and btw, Shuttle's run better (temperature wise) when you leave the case on. :D
 
umm there are S754 90mm Venice cpus ranging from 3000, 3200+, 3400+ :cool: They run about 10c cooler then a 130mm cpu at the same speed
 
Volkswagen said:
umm there are S754 90mm Venice cpus ranging from 3000, 3200+, 3400+ :cool: They run about 10c cooler then a 130mm cpu at the same speed

Wooah, when'd they get released? Must have slipped past me, my bad. :X
 
If I got a new case it would be a normal sized one...I have a pwr supply I could use..It would just have to still be agp for the vid card. Just looking to make the parts I have work...

I will be building a new system soon which is looking like it will be in the 2400 range. So, I dont want to put much into the sff...Just enough that my son can use it.
 
I found a venice 3400 for $100 delivered(Damn tax)....I dont think I could go the MB, case and HS route that low. It's a ADA3400AIK4BO...From what I read on the forums that is the one you want to look for right?
 
toric334 said:
Wooah, when'd they get released? Must have slipped past me, my bad. :X

The 3000+ Venice was released into the retail channel in late Dec 2005/early Jan 2006. The 3200+ Venice followed in March and the 3400+ in May/June. They use the same core as the Palermo s754 Semprons but have 512 kb L2 cache vs the 128/256 of the Semprons. They also all oc very well (2.6-2.8 ghz)

It's a ADA3400AIK4BO...From what I read on the forums that is the one you want to look for right?
Yup - that is the one to get. StarMicro has them for $89.
The 3000+ runs at 2.0 stock
The 3200+ runs at 2.2 stock
The 3400+ runs at 2.4 stock
I have owned all 3. Presently running the 3400+ (see sig)
 
I am running the new cpu and have already played bf2142... Temps are nice and low...Over 20c diff for me at load....
 
Back
Top