Controllers for emulators.

kuhla

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
472
I made a similar thread a long time ago but never acted on it. Not too much has changed since then but I wanted to get some fresh opinions on controllers I'm shopping.

These controllers (planning to buy 2) will be used for old games (NES, SNES, Sega G) via emulator on a pc so I'm expecting heavy d-pad use and I would prefer to keep it wireless and at or under $30 per controller. Was hoping to get some input. If I absolutely cannot find a happy wireless choice then I'll look to wired controllers.

$25 - Power A Pro Elite - PS3 - http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Elite-Wir...?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1324333764&sr=1-174
* Wondering if that d-pad is too far "in" the controller to be comfortable.

$25 - Nyko Raven - PS3 http://www.amazon.com/Raven-Wireles...6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1324332937&sr=1-26
* Large range of reviews.

$30 - Mad Catz - PS3 - http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Street-F..._4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1324335548&sr=1-4
* Layout is better for N64 and Sega Genesis games which had 6 face buttons.
* D-pad is considered good quality although a bit large and "floaty."
* At the limit of what I'd like to spend since I want to buy 2.

$26 - Logitech Cordless Precision - PS3 - http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cord...5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1324338706&sr=1-95
* The pricing seems wierd. A few sources for $44 and a few for $20-$26 but all list as new. After looking a little more I think it's because it's end of life.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ended up just borrowing one of my friends standard bluetooth PS3 controllers and using my PSP charger/data cable. probably grab a bluetooth adapter from meritline for .99 cents. Bluetooth PS3 controllers go on ebay for $15.
 
I just use a wired 360 controller.
Same. I just use my wireless 360 controller. It's got enough buttons to be able to map / mimick any legacy controller. Besides, the out-of-the-box support for it in Windows 7 is way better than any other similar product if you ever decide to use it on GFW or XBox ports that have built-in button mappings specifically for the 360 controller on PC.
 
ss-controller-ps3.jpg


USB. Feels good.
 
Xbox 360 controller, wired. FTW

If wireless is a concern, then get the 360 wireless controller with the dongle.

I still vote on the wired 360, it's cheap.
 
ss-controller-ps3.jpg


USB. Feels good.

These are great alongside with arcade sticks. The Mad Catz PS3 Fightpad has similar dpad to these but the Sega dpads are not floaty. Very cheap too.

360 wireless controller is pretty good but the dpad is not so great. PS3 pad is even worse.
 
For NES and SNES platformers Xbox and Playstation dpads are quite worthless. I would rather buy USB adapters from Retrousb.com (or ebay, propably cheaper) and original pads from ebay (or ASCIIpad for Snes for equally good alternative as original, exactly same internals except for turbo buttons), something which in matter of fact I have done. :) Problem is that the pads on ebay most likely have the rubbers become mushy, maybe even deteriorated, so refurbishing kit is recommended too as is good cleaning with isopropyl.

But its all worth it, trust me. You wont get more authentic and sharper feeling than that, other than having actual consoles plugged to CRT TV but that is another subject.


*edit* Its all within your pricerange too. USB adapter = 7$, original SNES pad 7-10$, possible repair kit 5$ = rough 22$, prices from ebay.


*edit2* there are also ready USB copies of old console pads, but I'd rather avoid them. I heard japanese Buffalo snes one is great but I havent tried it and its bit pricey. Retrolink's is a worthless POS, Tomee one is decent at first but gets creaky as time passes, not as responsive as real one either.
 
Last edited:
For NES and SNES platformers Xbox and Playstation dpads are quite worthless. I would rather buy USB adapters from Retrousb.com (or ebay, propably cheaper) and original pads from ebay (or ASCIIpad for Snes for equally good alternative as original, exactly same internals except for turbo buttons), something which in matter of fact I have done. :) Problem is that the pads on ebay most likely have the rubbers become mushy, maybe even deteriorated, so refurbishing kit is recommended too as is good cleaning with isopropyl.

But its all worth it, trust me. You wont get more authentic and sharper feeling than that, other than having actual consoles plugged to CRT TV but that is another subject.

I set up my media server as a HTPC. Was working on it for the last month or so. Hyperspin for games + XBMC for media.

I went with a Retrobit NES USB adapter (works great, and works on my android tablet too) and a 2-port Mayflash SNES USB adapter (works great on PC, not on Android though).

I've tried all sorts of USB controllers over the years (I even have some old Interact propad 6 units using a gameport/usb adapter). Never as good as the real thing.
 
I still use my PSx to USb converter.

Looks like this, but mine is for 2 controllers. And for it being so cheap, i'm surprise it's still around after all these years.
figure4.jpg
 
I still use my PSx to USb converter.

Looks like this, but mine is for 2 controllers. And for it being so cheap, i'm surprise it's still around after all these years.
figure4.jpg

I had one like that, but it has no drivers for Windows 7 x64. :( I think it's now gathering dust.
 
group.jpg


2x PS2 to USB
1x GC to USB
Wireless 360/plug n charge (the good D-pad)
When friends come over we play my PC, not no console. :)

OP has lots of options.
 
I use a Xbox 360 wireless gamepads for my Emulator box running Hyperspin, I have the gamepads mapped to the play perfectly to run the emulator, exit the emulators and play with the following emulators perfectly to play these systems, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Sega Cd, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Nes, Super NES, N-64, Gamecube ( using Dolphin Emu ) , MAME, Neo Geo, 3DO, Playstation 1, Colecovision, Atari 2600, and a couple others . I can post the config file i use for MAME if needed. I also have all these Emulators and more in my Cabinet. Next project is a pinball machine running HyperPin.
 
i just bought 2 xbox 360 controllers to play trine 2 with friends. got xbox controllers because i like the feel but they are 20bux more than generic ones.
 
I love the original N64 controller, it has a perfect D-pad and the best analog stick ever... I connect it to my PC via usb with an Adaptoid which are unfortunately hard to find nowadays. Still works under Win7 too, which was a nice surprise. I use it for pretty much all my emulation and it's recognized with most regular games as well.
 
I love the original N64 controller, it has a perfect D-pad and the best analog stick ever... I connect it to my PC via usb with an Adaptoid which are unfortunately hard to find nowadays. Still works under Win7 too, which was a nice surprise. I use it for pretty much all my emulation and it's recognized with most regular games as well.

While I loved the N64 controller too, the joystick is prone to going out after a lot of use. I've had to have 4 - 5 of them repaired in the time the N64 was Nintendo's flagship console. I've since lost all those controllers ~6 years ago, but I am afraid to try to buy some now because I wouldn't know how to fix them when they go out. :confused:

Where is a good source to buy USB adapters for console controllers?
 
That's weird, I just plugged my PS to USB converter in yesterday with a PS2 controller, and windows 7 downloaded the drivers automagically. Mine was like this though http://cmikavac.net/wp-content/uploads/ps_to_usb.jpg. Works perfectly with ePSXe by the way.

Yeah, I don't even have the driver disks anymore, both my GC and the PS2 converter 'just work'. Plug and go, detected perfectly. I don't recall needing to install any drivers on windows 7. Everything just works.
 
I also made a usb to xbox (original one) adapter since that is easy to make and I used a heavy duty arcade style controller.

Now I mostly just use a xbox 360 controller.
 
I wish there was an easy solution but there isn't for this setup.

I will eventually have USB versions of NES, SNES, Saturn (fits genisis too), and N64.

Nothing as good as the real thing.
 
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Just like last time, a LOT of you are reccomending the 360 controller (wired or wireless). I understand the fact that it already has tight integration with some games GFW and win7 but the only thing that gives me pause is that I've read numerous times that the d-pad is not very good quality. Maybe if someone wants to specifically address that point? Zero82z brings up exactly my point about the xbox pads, these games will make heavy use of the d-pad.

On the same note, the reason I've ruled out the PS1/2/3 is that I really don't like the d-pad design on it. The four raised corners eat my thumb whenever I use it at my friend's house making it very uncomfortable after a short time.

svr, I already have a Mad Catz TE stick for fighting games and spent a very decent amount of cash on just that one so a second isn't an option.

MaZa, that buffalo snes pad looks legit but yeah it is a tad expensive. Since multiple people have brought it up I'll look into wired adapters although I'm not crazy about the idea. I'm not necessarily looking or authenticity, just a solid pad for old school games.
 
Just like last time, a LOT of you are reccomending the 360 controller (wired or wireless). I understand the fact that it already has tight integration with some games GFW and win7 but the only thing that gives me pause is that I've read numerous times that the d-pad is not very good quality. Maybe if someone wants to specifically address that point? Zero82z brings up exactly my point about the xbox pads, these games will make heavy use of the d-pad.
Use the analog stick instead of the d-pad. For most games, it works perfectly well.
 
While I loved the N64 controller too, the joystick is prone to going out after a lot of use. I've had to have 4 - 5 of them repaired in the time the N64 was Nintendo's flagship console. I've since lost all those controllers ~6 years ago, but I am afraid to try to buy some now because I wouldn't know how to fix them when they go out. :confused:

Where is a good source to buy USB adapters for console controllers?
It's true, those N64 controllers were not very resilient... especially that tiny analog stick, for me that's usually the first thing to go because I use it so much. I still have four of them, and I rotate my use through all of them to reduce wear and tear on a single unit. You can't really fix them once they start going but they made millions of these controllers and they're still pretty easy to find in fair condition at a retro game store or on the likes of Ebay.

http://www.jandaman.com/servlet/the-PC/Categories ... I purchased my Adaptoids from this site about 10 years ago but it's still current and he's got some good USB adaptors to choose from.
 


Trust me, Retrolinks products are pure garbage and not even close to the real thing and break easily. I own both NES and SNES variations.

Tomee's versions, like this;
http://stoneagegamer.com/pcmacusbsnescontroller.aspx
are considerably better, but even they have issues and pale in comparison to real originals used with adapters. They will get you started to give you a taste but you will go for the originals at some point after they break. I walked exactly this route... :)
 
Last edited:
Just to update everyone on what I ended up doing, I bought:

one of this: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWKQ/
and
one of this: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller-Glossy-Black/dp/B003ZSP0WW/

I don't have them yet, hasn't shipped yet, but I'm looking forward to playing some really old games again.

ugh, the old d-pad...
would not buy those myself, but i guess you're ok with them. I'm assuming price is an issue?
you'd have MUCH better luck with these, but they are more expensive than those:
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Silv...ROGG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1325717925&sr=8-4
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just to update everyone on what I ended up doing, I bought:

one of this: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWKQ/
and
one of this: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller-Glossy-Black/dp/B003ZSP0WW/

I don't have them yet, hasn't shipped yet, but I'm looking forward to playing some really old games again.

You said you were expecting heavy D-pad usage but went with controllers that have one of the worst D-pads ever? LeviathanZERO linked to the improved ones above, but they still leave much to be desired.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
group.jpg


2x PS2 to USB
1x GC to USB
Wireless 360/plug n charge (the good D-pad)
When friends come over we play my PC, not no console. :)

OP has lots of options.

I used to use that exact same PS2 USB converter but now I just use the wireless XBox 360 adapter. The D-pad isn't perfect but it's more than adequate for everything but the frantic fighting games.

A word of caution to those of you considering the USB wireless Xbox 360 adapter. It has a design flaw where a fuse will blow and make the device worthless. I had to bridge the fuse with some solder and it works again but just beware. I don't think they ever fixed it.
 
I use my Xbox 360 wired controller with znes. Not sure if the drivers still exist, I can't find them on microsoft website anymore.
 
You need an adapter to use these since they use a 7-pin SNES controller port. The thread says they'll be getting USB ones in soon, but no word on the price for those yet. Will be keeping an eye on these for sure.

Actually those were supposed to be the USB versions, but the manufacturer sent NCIX the wrong ones.

Notice the item description:
Tomee Snes Replica USB 7-PIN 8 Way Directional Pad and Six Digital Buttons Controller for PC or Mac
Price: $9.99 CAD
 
Actually those were supposed to be the USB versions, but the manufacturer sent NCIX the wrong ones.

Notice the item description:
Tomee Snes Replica USB 7-PIN 8 Way Directional Pad and Six Digital Buttons Controller for PC or Mac
Price: $9.99 CAD

Ok, whatever. My point is, don't order those ones because they're not actually USB, according to that thread.
 
Back
Top