controller capped out?

JRW21

Gawd
I believe my controller has capped out. Anyone have any experience with what ATTO looks like on capped controller? My reads should be MUCH higher, ~600+.

bench.jpg

well I'd guess 2 or 3 of the Vertex drives with the new firmware. But that's just going by his post in that other thread. other info we'll have to wait for I guess.

I didn't think it was relevant. Info:

790i Mainboard
Areca 1220 (in slot pcie 16x 2.0)
3 Vertex v1.10

Yes, you have capped your controller.

From the Mtron Battleship article.

Since we already know that these Mtron SSD's have the theoretical capability to scale in almost perfect multiples using Raid 0, something is definitely wrong with the picture above you. Five drives put out only 386 MB/s sustained read when we should be anywhere from 550 to 600 MB/s easily. After countless hours of research about the Areca 1220, I finally stumbled across a gentleman's very informative post on one of the hardware review forums explaining about theoretical throughput maximum on the ARC-1220 controller. The limitation happens to be right around 400 to 450 MB/s max on the 1220. I had one of my suppliers overnight me an Areca 1231ML and I junked the 1220 immediately.

What a hunk of junk! ONLY 400 MB/sec. Wait, my Perc 5 only gets in the upper 300s. Should I junk it immediately too? ;)

Don

Don, thanks again for the facts! I guess I will be moving my array to controller number 3. It looks like my controller hit a brick wall at 439029.

If you get a card with the IOP341 instead of the IOP333 (what you have), then you should cap out at about 800mb/s.

Ok, I will start looking at them. I am browsing adaptecs website, it does not list what IOP the 2405 has, anyone have this info?

And why is 400 MB/sec not enough for you. ;) Just curious.

I have 4 X 30 gig OCZ solids going into my Perc5i. That is overkill for a normal desktop system. In fact 3 of my drives capped the controller. But I had already purchased the 4th drive, so I installed it anyways. It did help smooth out some of the valleys in the BMs. So it wasn't a total waste, I guess.

Go looking for an Areca 1231 ML. They stress it pretty hard in the second half of that article. It's a fun read.

Don

Well, it is fast enough for me. But, it seems pointless to have the extra drive in there not running at its full potential. Well, honestly it irritates me being capped :p

These little drives really are amazing though! :D

What mobo do you have on that box?

the ICH10's do like 600 max so you could try onboard raid.

"790i Mainboard" per earlier in the thread so he is out of luck with that NVRAID.

However I guess he could try it.

Well, the onboard ICH10 may have a higher sustained read, but I think a caching controller will give better response for daily use.

But then again, I have one of each setup and can't see any difference in their feel in daily use. ;)

Unless you are running a busy database server, it really would be pointless to upgrade.

Don

No, the nVRAID does not work so well. However, my writes seem to be slightly better.
790iraid1.jpg

Back