Control Case Fans via GPU temps

Rev. Night

[H]ard|Gawd
So the 4pin PWM header on my Sapphire 480x blew a few years ago. I have an arctic twin turbo II on it, and I have been powering the gpu fans via a 7V molex. It's not horrible truth be told, but I want to make a moderate project of getting a getting the adapter to plug it into the case fan header (done) and control it via Speedfan. Theres a few guides on how to control case fans (because techinically this is what those gpu fans are since they are plugged into the case fan header on my mobo) via Speedfan, but they are years old. Speed fan is not showing any fans on my Gigabyte Z170, or on my much new Asus TUF B450M, and even the latest 4.52 was made years ago. All fans can be controlled just fine via PWM bios, but bios just links to CPU temp. I want Fan Header #1 to be controlled by gpu.

MSI Afterburner won't help because that assumes the gpu fan header works, and like I said above, it does not.

The only solution I know is Argus Monitor, which costs $10. Not horrible, but I want to know peoples experiences doing this.

thanks yall

edit: For clarification, the 480x is on the Asus TUF B450m board. And no, I can't move it to the gigabyte since thats my gaming pc

Last edited:
I believe Gigabytes SmartFan has the ability to choose what sensor it runs the specific fan header from. I'd have to power up the test rig or my racing rig to check, and I'm about to head out the door, but give that a try.

Sorry, I should have specified that the 480x is on the Asus TUF board, so the GB Smart Fan prob won't work there

The reason all the guides are years old is because speedfan was abandoned a while ago and doesn't work on most newer stuff. I was able to get it to work on my Z170, but most anti-cheat software will flag it and make you disable it to play games. I ended up buying Argus Monitor and have been happy with it other than the one time an update it set all the fan curves to default. It still had my custom curves saved I just had to go in and select them.

Yeah I got Argus Monitor up and running simple enough in like 15 minutes of just playing around. If I had known that my case fans had a min PWM of 35%, that would saved me the past hour of testing. Oh well. For $10 it's not bad, I just wish I had something free out there.

If you lose the gpu pwm signal than isn't everything basically taking pcie slot temp, or gpu sensor signal?

I've done it the brute force way, targeting pcie slot in bios and modifying curve to keep gpu under 80/84/79 C. Whatever that particular gpu max was got step ramped from max back to whatever cruising temp was in actual useage.

Fancontrol v49 is free and works awesome

Oh shit, I will have to research this.

If you lose the gpu pwm signal than isn't everything basically taking pcie slot temp, or gpu sensor signal?

I've done it the brute force way, targeting pcie slot in bios and modifying curve to keep gpu under 80/84/79 C. Whatever that particular gpu max was got step ramped from max back to whatever cruising temp was in actual useage.
I'm no computerologist, but there are two signals being sent from the gpu - one for PWM to fan via fan header, the other for data to the mobo via pci slot. The pci slot works just fine, which is why the gpu can function afterall. Its the fan header that is busted. So you get Argus Monitor, or fan control above (tbd), get fans, get a mini-gpu to fan header adaptor cable, and plug the fans into a mobo case header. Now you can control fans based upon gpu temps via custom fan curve.

With the ASUS TUF bios, I can control fans but only based on CPU or Mainboard temps. I am going to assume mainboard is some sensor somewhere and not GPU

It's the Tuf bios that's diff.
I swear I had pcie temp targeting on a z270-a prime, as well as on a z370 Maximus X.

I've been using Argus Monitor for the last few years and the improvements to the program since then have been pretty good. For example, you can run custom curves against most if not all sensors across the CPU/GPU/motherboard, even combining them (up to 4?) with custom curves on each. My use case is for water temp driving the pump, the radiator fans, and my PSU fan - a more aggressive profile (during some gaming) uses CPU/GPU to push the fans higher since those temperatures react much faster than water.

Well, I think the option you choose is correct, one of my friends using this for the last 5 months and He is happy with Argus Monitor. So you can also use this without any doubt.

I actually got FanControl to work pretty well, but the problem is that it sits upon OpenHardware Monitor. If OHM doesnt support your motherboard, then neither will FanControl. For my Asus TUF B450M, the fan sensor ITE8655E, even though the past three OHM versions have had support for it, I still dont see the fans. Which means neither can FC, so Argus is right now the only route. I'm at 0.9.5 version for OHM

Back