Continuous long beep - phoneix bios

ripken204

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
1,427
I have a motherboard with a phoenix bios that will not POST.
I am getting continuous long beeps and I can't find any information on what it may be.
The odd thing is that this seems to be due to transporting the case via car to another house.

So does anyone know what a continuous long beep for a phoenix bios means?
 
Is it the beep when your CPU temp becomes too hot? Maybe your hsf came loose after transporting your comp.
 
there is no video card, it's onboard.
and cpu temp would not be an issue if the computer is only on for 1sec.
 
My pc also crapped out on me for no reason also. I rebooted and was confronted with 1 long and 2 short beeps in a repeating succession. Asus said bad memory. [H] members said video. Tried some hints from [H] and ended up getting a continuous long beep like what you're getting.

Things I tried:

swapped in known working video card > no help
swapped in 3 diff sets of memory (pairs and singles in various slots) >> no help
swapped in known working cpu > no help
inspected mobo > nothing wrong that I can see

Ended up concluding that my mobo (Asus skt 939 mobo) died and gave up the ghost.
The memory, cpu and video ended up working fine in a rebuild I did with a spare mobo.

Since you're using onboard video, that's one less thing to try. I think memory is usually 2 beeps and video is 3 (or vice versa). Your 1 long beep suggests mobo to me.

Sorry I don't have any other advice for you. Good luck. Let us know what happens.
 
Well I am trying to convince this person to let me build them a new computer, this one is 5+ years old as it is.. I will let you know if I try any further testing on it. Thanks.
 
Well I am trying to convince this person to let me build them a new computer, this one is 5+ years old as it is.. I will let you know if I try any further testing on it. Thanks.

good luck on that one. It's ridiculous how cheap it is nowadays to build a new pc (skt 775 or AMD). Definitely not worth spending money to revive old technology.
 
Sorry if you already addressed this but it sounds to me as something has come loose. Reseat every component and ensure every cable is securely connected. Something has jarred loose, IMHO.
 
Check stupid stuff...Keyboard, mouse, Mobo cables....I know, I know....but it never hurts. Anytime I get a long beep it is something loose.
 
would peripherals make it not POST though?

I doubt it. You may a message that there's no mouse or keyboard. Shouldn't stop you from posting, though. Since you've checked and reseated memory, cables; video card, etc, I don't think there's much more you can do short of reseating the cpu.
 
would peripherals make it not POST though?

No it should POST, but stranger things have happened. One more question. Did you fully reseat the the RAM. I mean pull it out and put it back in? Sorry just trying to run through everything.
 
yes, i did that to the ram, and i tried it in the other ram slot as well.
all that i can really test now is the ram, that is once i find a stick.
 
Back
Top