Contemplating new WC loop

Tiporaro

[H]ard|Gawd
Just in the prelim planning stage and considering certain options...

Thoughts on something like the black ice rad's? I was thinking about using a 560mm rad across the bottom of my case, and then potentially adding an additional 120mm with p/p fans where there's a spot on the top. This would be to cool 3x6950's oc'd + 2600k oc'd to 5ghz+ - what kind of temps should I expect with this setup? Also, worthwhile to cool the mb chipset as well, or minimal difference?

A single 560mm radiator would be more than sufficient for your setup.

You'll most likely get either temps equivalent to air or lower than air, but you'll get them at much lower noise levels.

Motherboard cooling is mostly aesthetics and/or coolness factor. It only helps if you're trying to push your chip to the max with extreme voltages (more than 1.45 v for Sandy Bridge I would say).

Most of the jobs the MB chipset used to do are now on the CPU.....so cooling the MB chips is really not all that useful as long as you have good air movement.

For reference, I cool a 6990 and a OC'd 930 with a single Swiftech 120.3 Rad with res.

My GPU temps are a good 25C lower at load and of course the card is dead silent where it used to sound like a mini-leafblower.

I dont think you need such a hefty radiator......my 6950 runs at 45C on air and is pretty silent.

Thanks for the great responses. Any particular suggestions on rad/block manufacturers?

Im not sure how xspc stacks up - I see plenty of people picking up their kits for ease, but I dont mind picking up parts individually for better performance, so am I better off going elsewhere, or are some of their parts still quality? Ive also heard ek being called everything from the best to essentially an overpriced con job for blocks. I see plenty using swiftech stuff, as well as the occasional heatkiller, and several others on top of that.

It's odd having so many choices...I remember a while back danger den was really just getting into the game, and the idea of a bundled kit didn't really exist.

On another note - are you sure you are able to fit a GTX 560 in a Raven? I use the GTX 360 in the FT02 and it completely takes up the space of two AP181s plus the bit of excess space in the back. It's gonna be a really tight fit if it works.

It would be really sweet though. If it's possible, I might consider it myself.

The XSPC kits good for the price, but the pumps are very weak, and will not be able to handle your setup. You're better off getting your own parts.

The XSPC Rasa is a very good waterblock. It just lacks some of the bling that other waterblocks have. All of the top waterblocks (the XSPC Rasa, Swiftech Apogee XT V2, EK Supreme HF, Koolance CPU-370, and many others) all perform within ~3 C or less of each other. You should choose here based primarily on price and aesthetics.

EK had issues with their nickel plating process where it would peel off after time. I believe they have since resolved it, but their handling of the issue left a sour taste in the mouths of many watercoolers. A lot of them will tell you to avoid EK just because of their poor PR.

On another note - are you sure you are able to fit a GTX 560 in a Raven? I use the GTX 360 in the FT02 and it completely takes up the space of two AP181s plus the bit of excess space in the back. It's gonna be a really tight fit if it works.

It would be really sweet though. If it's possible, I might consider it myself.

I just responded to you in your other thread mentioning this very fact, but I've seen a couple people manage it - needless to say, I was very surprised as well, as a 360 seems a tight squeeze at first glance. But apparently those drive cages can come out relatively easily, so its at least up for consideration.

The XSPC kits good for the price, but the pumps are very weak, and will not be able to handle your setup. You're better off getting your own parts.

The XSPC Rasa is a very good waterblock. It just lacks some of the bling that other waterblocks have. All of the top waterblocks (the XSPC Rasa, Swiftech Apogee XT V2, EK Supreme HF, Koolance CPU-370, and many others) all perform within ~3 C or less of each other. You should choose here based primarily on price and aesthetics.

EK had issues with their nickel plating process where it would peel off after time. I believe they have since resolved it, but their handling of the issue left a sour taste in the mouths of many watercoolers. A lot of them will tell you to avoid EK just because of their poor PR.

Awesome info, thanks for really hitting some across the board considerations. Getting the itch more and more...

The only times i'd watercool the chipset was if I was doing a completly passive (fanless) system (like i'm kind of planning). They don't put out much heat but do need a tiny amount of moving air to keep them cool. Or for aesthetic reasons :D

Back