Consumer firewall recommendation wanted.

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
Can anyone recommend me to a consumer (expense) level firewall device that has these criteria:

• Password protected
  • Proxy out to the webfiltering and blocklisting service of my choice.
  • Can be remotely administered - preferably one that will seek a parent address, of my choice, for updates.

consumer level to do any of that?

DD-wrt \ Linux in general.

or one of the small 400 dollar cisco firewalls.

Yeah take a peek and Endian and Untangle. Free linux Unified Threat Management firewall distros that you install on your own hardware.

That Untangle Re-Router for Windows is actually pretty nice! I've been evaluating it for a few weeks now and it's done a pretty good job on a small network for 11 computers and 1 server so far.

For this purpose a consumer level hardware device is still desirable. For example - a modified linksys wrt54g or wrt54gl router firmware might fit the bill --- if that kind of option was available. Anyone have any contacts that might be able to reprogram a consumer device's firmware to meet these requirements under a paid contract?

Last edited:
For this purpose a consumer level hardware device is still desirable. For example - a modified linksys wrt54g or wrt54gl router firmware might fit the bill --- if that kind of option was available. Anyone have any contacts that might be able to reprogram a consumer device's firmware to meet these requirements under a paid contract?

If you are willing to pay a developer to write a new firmware for a consumer device, would it not be cheaper to just buy a bunch of Cisco PIX501's? unless you're really wanting to deploy hacked WRT54-GL's en masse.

Back