Constant Bluescreens: Hard Drive, Sound Card, or Wireless Card

senorcarne

n00b
I have a major problem with my computer that occurred yesterday evening. I have a 150 GB WD Raptor HD, Creative X-Fi PCI audio card, and a D-Link PCI wireless card. These are the three components that could be causing the problem.

Backstory: I built my computer a few months ago, it's specs are in my signature. The first thing I got for it was the X-Fi and it worked perfectly. I upgraded my hard drive, and got the 150 GB WD HD from a computer show. It came without a box or anything, but it was cheaper that way. I installed Vista 64 on it and everything was working perfectly. But a few days ago, I was forced to switch from wired to wireless internet. Since my experience with USB wireless cards led to me ending up frustrated, coupled with the fact that my friends have PCI D-Link wireless cards and are satisfied with them, I chose to go that route.

Problem: I open up my case, pull out my 4 port USB hub PCI card and plug in the D-Link card and boot into Windows. The card is not detected. So I open it up again, and pull out and put the card in again, but keep the case open and sideways. I boot up the computer, and I get a BOOTMGR Missing error, and sure enough my hard drive is not detected. I switch the SATA port with a different drive, and it's detected and boots up, but turns off in the middle of booting and I get bluescreen (#1). I unplug the drive, plug it back in, and put the computer to its vertical position it's usually in, and Windows boots perfectly, but the wireless card is still not detected.

I realize that it might work if I switch the sound card and the wireless card, both PCI (the 680i motherboard only has 2 PCI slots). I screw them both in, and push the power button (every time I do, I get nervous, fearing my hard drive won't be detected). My speakers aren't on, so I don't know if the soundcard works, but the wireless card is detected. (Windows automatically installed drivers for the sound card when it booted up, as well as the hard drive when it was detected for the first time). I install the Atheros drivers for it, as D-Link's don't work with Vista 64. It works! I connect to the network, open firefox, load google.com, and the second it's done loading, I get a bluescreen (#2). I reboot the computer, it loads the log in screen, and blue screens (#3). I finally get into Windows again, load Firefox to find out what the blue screen means, and it freezes, and subsequently bluescreens (#4). Another blue screen (#5), and I finally get into Windows again. I set up a check disk, and since it's 1 AM, I set it up overnight. I wake up, and a bluescreen is on my monitor (#6), and I assume it has been stuck like that for a few hours at least. Each time it bluescreens, I get a Stop: 0x00000124 error.

I do not have access to my computer yet, but I will Saturday night, where I will take all of your suggestions into account (if you leave suggestions, please!).

It is worth noting two things: 1) eVGA 680i does not have SMART status, so I can't tell if my HD is failing or not, and 2) the 0x00000124 error seems to be related to sound cards in Vista, which is something I did adjust. But it can also be related to other things: the sound card was only being used for one or two of the bluescreens.

I'm sorry for the long post, but I hope someone will know something about it to be able to answer and give advice, please.

I'm thinking now it's my sound card, and hope it is - that way I can uninstall the drivers and reinstall them when necessary. I really hope it's not the hard drive.

Any suggestions?

take out the soundcard and remove the drivers, see what happens.

Could be data corruption through the 680i chipset Nvidia provides...
theres known problems with the chipset

Could be data corruption through the 680i chipset Nvidia provides...
theres known problems with the chipset

What would be corrupt though? The only thing I'm sure of is the hard drive thing is not related to the 680i - the only problem would be that its a crappy drive (I really hope it's not the drive, which would be the biggest hassle out of all three)

The data on the drive itself could be corrupted. Though I thought eVGA fixed that problem with a shitload of BIOS updates.

Now did you remove the sound card and its drivers?

I will be able to Saturday night, I wish I could now though, and report back with what happens.

But all this time just thinking about it leads me to think about new ideas: Why didn't the PCI slot work correctly with the wireless card and now that the sound card is in it, assuming the sound card is the problem, is it also not working correctly? That could be the 680i's problem.

Just so everyone knows, this is everything I did:

took out wireless card
uninstalled nTune
changed hard drive power from legacy to SATA power
put audio card in different PCI slot

and everything works fine. it was the wireless card all along but the other things were good preventative measures so that my hardware continues to work.

thanks for the help everyone.

Back