Considering a new Build, please help

Bennyb

2[H]4U
Ok so about 3 years ago I built a PC with the following specs:

DIAMOND 7850PE52G Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge Dual-Core 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W BX80623I32100 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics

1 x ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI 2 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMV8GX3M2A1333C9

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Intel Haswell ...

These parts were thrown together with some crappy harddrives i had lying around from an older computer. It has served me well for the past 3 years. Up until recently it has run everything i've thrown at it. Sometimes on slightly lower settings, but it runs none the less. Anyway, I was hopeful that GTA V would at least run, which it does to some degree, but it gets very choppy at times and is basically unplayable at crucial moments.

The build I've put together is this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($201.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($108.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $677.88

So my questions are:

1. Are there smaller upgrades I can make to my current PC (such as just upgrading the CPU) that will make a significant difference?

2. Is my video card holding me back as much as my processor at this point and is it worth building a completely new computer without replacing the video card?

3. If I can get by for a few more months is it worth waiting to buy?

4. Is the build I've chosen going to give me enough power to last several years?

Thanks in advance!

1) No, You're looking at a new CPU, GPU, PSU, and SSD if you don't have one already.

2) Yes. No. Replace everything if you're going for a new build.

3) If you can wait, then wait for Skylake which is coming out later this year. It looks like you're willing to pay for a whole new set of RAM anyway so might as well get DDR4 with Skylake. In addition, the performance difference between Intel Skylake and Intel Sandy Bridge is far far greater than the performance difference between Intel Haswell and Intel Sandy Bridge.

4) If you were building right now, I would not recommend going with that build since it isn't quite optimal:
- THere are far better quality PSUs in that price range

- That motherboard won't work with that CPU out of the box

- You're missing a new video card

1) No, You're looking at a new CPU, GPU, PSU, and SSD if you don't have one already.

2) Yes. No. Replace everything if you're going for a new build.

3) If you can wait, then wait for Skylake which is coming out later this year. It looks like you're willing to pay for a whole new set of RAM anyway so might as well get DDR4 with Skylake. In addition, the performance difference between Intel Skylake and Intel Sandy Bridge is far far greater than the performance difference between Intel Haswell and Intel Sandy Bridge.

4) If you were building right now, I would not recommend going with that build since it isn't quite optimal:
- THere are far better quality PSUs in that price range

- That motherboard won't work with that CPU out of the box

- You're missing a new video card

So, nothing from this old system is worth salvaging?

I'm not opposed to re-using the ram I already have, is 8 GB enough ram these days?

Which PSU would you recommend? I'm assuming my 550W isn't powerful enough.

Which MOBO would be comparable in that price range?

Would using my 7850 for a while until I could upgrade defeat the purpose of upgrading?

I'm not opposed to re-using the ram I already have, is 8 GB enough ram these days?

Would using my 7850 for a while until I could upgrade defeat the purpose of upgrading?

Before I can recommend anything: Are you going to wait for Skylake or do you really want to buy now?

Also, are you willing to buy a used CPU?

Yes reusing your 7850 kinda defeats the purpose of sorts. But if it's for only a month before you can buy a new video card, then go ahead and reuse the 7850.

Before I can recommend anything: Are you going to wait for Skylake or do you really want to buy now?

Also, are you willing to buy a used CPU?

Yes reusing your 7850 kinda defeats the purpose of sorts. But if it's for only a month before you can buy a new video card, then go ahead and reuse the 7850.

I think I'll probably end up waiting. I didn't realize there were beta drivers out that help with GTA V performance issues. The game seems to be playable at the moment so I think I'll probably end up waiting.

I'd rather not buy a used CPU. Are used CPUs a decent investment? It seems a bit risky to me if you don't know what has been done to the CPU by its previous owner.

Since I'll probably be holding off for the time being on building a completely new computer would upgrading to a SSD with the intention of using it in my new build be a worthwhile upgrade? What about buying a new video card now? I'm not quite sure what is relevant today that will be relevant several months down the road. It seems like a SSD would be somewhat future proof while a video card might not. I don't really know.

Thanks

I think I'll probably end up waiting. I didn't realize there were beta drivers out that help with GTA V performance issues. The game seems to be playable at the moment so I think I'll probably end up waiting.

I'd rather not buy a used CPU. Are used CPUs a decent investment? It seems a bit risky to me if you don't know what has been done to the CPU by its previous owner.

Since I'll probably be holding off for the time being on building a completely new computer would upgrading to a SSD with the intention of using it in my new build be a worthwhile upgrade? What about buying a new video card now? I'm not quite sure what is relevant today that will be relevant several months down the road. It seems like a SSD would be somewhat future proof while a video card might not. I don't really know.

Thanks

Are you overclocking your current CPU (no idea how the 2100 overclocks or H77 chipset)? That's a good way of getting free performance.

I wouldn't mind buying a used CPU from a forum user here. I've always overclocked my CPUs and have yet to have one die on me yet.

A SSD won't help your gaming performance but does make other things much better. Windows boot time is significantly decreased as well as other program load times. Everything feels much quicker with an SSD and you can always use it in your future system.

Right now, your current system is just hitting the fringe of being truly outdated. Most games will play fine with what you have, but you'll either have too or have just started turning settings down here and there. 8GB is mostly today's standard, maybe almost yesterday's standard - but again fringe here.

When skylake comes out later this year there'll be three generations in-between sandy and skylake (sky would be a 4th generation after sandy). Your graphics card is just over 3 years old now, so you'll get a little more out of it before it too crosses the line.

You already mentioned you're going to wait it out - so check out what's available when Skylake hits the market. A few more graphics cards will be out by then. RAM is cheap as well and for a gaming PC, 16 GB is usually where most people are landing. SSD's are no brainers, but again we're just on the verge of breaking into NVMe SSD's which will be faster than our current SATA (AHCI) SSD's.

Then really no point in me recommending a new mobo, PSU, CPU, or RAM then considering that it'll all be changed by the time you actually buy.
Used CPUs have been a hit or a miss with me. Used anything are always risky but the potential savings is what makes the risk worth it or not. To put actual numbers to it, you can probably snag a used Core i5 2400, 2500, or 2500K for around $120 to $150 shipped. At stock, a 2500K is only 8% to 10% slower than the Core i5 4590 CPU you chose earlier. The Core i5 4590 + new mobo route will cost you around $300.

Hence why I recommend waiting for Skylake. It should be about 15% to 18% faster than a 2500K clock for clock.

Thanks
IMO, yes. A SSD upgrade is one of the best upgrades for a PC you can do. The massive difference in overall system responsiveness is worth it. I honestly cannot recommend a new video card for GTA V since it appears that GTA V is both CPU and GPU heavy. So while a new GPU may help out, your CPU is limiting it a bit. Not to mention that a new GPU means a new PSU as your current PSU isn't that great from a quality standpoint.

Back