Connecting controller to pc

Pivo504

2[H]4U
Currently built a nice gaming rig and wondering what is the best controller to hook up to the pc to play wii emu games, and also any pc games that you can use a console controller with? Prefer a wireless controller Appreciate the help

I love using my XBox 360 controller. It's also supported by a large number of PC games.

You could wait around for the Steam controller to come out but that might be a while a few months not sure which month. I use a PS4 controller works 95% of the time sometimes it turns on both the PS4 and Steam big picture mode in Steam at the same time. The touch pad ever acts as a mouse pad cursor so you can close off big picture mode.

https://www.inputmapper.com/

This is by far the best program to use with Steam and a PS4 controller.

You could wait around for the Steam controller to come out but that might be a while a few months not sure which month. I use a PS4 controller works 95% of the time sometimes it turns on both the PS4 and Steam big picture mode in Steam at the same time. The touch pad ever acts as a mouse pad cursor so you can close off big picture mode.

https://www.inputmapper.com/

This is by far the best program to use with Steam and a PS4 controller.

Excellent program.

Just get an official controller like, "XBOX 360 controller for PC". There's a wired and wireless version. Using anything else means that you'll need 3rd party software, to configure for PC games since that's all that's supported on PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-ca/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-ca/p/xbox-360-wireless-controller-for-windows

This is what I've been using, picked up the wireless version at Fry's so I could kick back on my couch and play some steam games in big picture mode.

Will the Xbox 360 work with pc dolphin emulator or the super nes emulators? Thanks for the responses!

If you play wii games maybe look at the PS3 or 4 controller You'll want a better dpad for those games

A vote for the XBone controller..it has been plug and play for me, and the D-pad is much better than the 360 controller for emu games.

I bought a generic 360 wireless receiver. It's under $10 on eBay or Amazon. Then find you a wireless 360 controller.

Still prefer the 360 controller to pretty much everything. Its single best reason is because its freaking plug and play.

My vote is for the PS4 controller, the built in mouse trackpad is incredibly nice for navigating menus and whatnot.

Ok I got an xbox 360 controller. I plugged it in but what do I do next? It says it's connected but it's not working in any games...

Ok I got an xbox 360 controller. I plugged it in but what do I do next? It says it's connected but it's not working in any games...

If it's a wireless 360 controller then you need to buy the wireless dongle as well. it doesn't work through the charge kit's USB cable. If it's a wired 360 controller, then it should work fine.

If you're playing a Wii emulator (Dolphin), get a Nintendo Wiimote, a generic Bluetooth dongle, and a wireless sensor bar. While the Xbox 360 controller is probably the best PC gamepad ever, you're not going to be playing a lot of Wii games with it, lol.

Wiimote Motion Plus + Nunchuck = $25 for a refurbished one directly from Nintendo
Generic bluetooth dongle = $2 off Ebay, DealExtreme, etc
Wireless sensor bar = $5 off Ebay

With Dolphin being as mature as it is now playing Wii games via an emulator is fantastic. 1080p (or higher) Mario Galaxy or Zelda: Twilight Princess is amazing.

what is the best controller to hook up to the pc to play wii emu games
For Wii games, an official Wii remote. There are drivers available.

For PC games many people like the 360 controller. The Steam controller is coming out and that is going to be popular as well.

I was surprised it took so long for someone to just recommend a wiimote when he said he wanted to play wii games. You just need bluetooth.

I was surprised it took so long for someone to just recommend a wiimote when he said he wanted to play wii games. You just need bluetooth.

You're expecting way too much from the [H] gaming subforums.... :D

If you're playing anything that needs a solid d-pad, you're best off using a PS1 or PS2 pad with a USB adapter. They work plug & play style sans additional drivers in most instances. You can also do the same with a PS4 controller using a mini USB cable. Some people swear by the Bluetooth functionality of the PS3 and PS4 pads, but as a fighting game player I'd say your mileage may vary.

For everything else, the 360 controller (and soon the Xbox One controller more than likely) is a solid bet.

The controller I have is a wireless but I got it plugged via usb. Also I'm using window 8.1 windows seems to recognize it but it doesn't work. Thanks for the responses!

That's just a charge port. You need a usb wireless dongle for the controller to work.

Bump anyone? Think it might be a fake. Where is the genuine Microsoft version?

That one is most likely official the knock off don't say Microsoft they say Xbox

I use a 360 controller "for windows" for windows games. I have seen these for retro but I haven't tried them
nes30.jpg

as for wii emulation get an official motion plus controller with nunchuck and a wireless sensor bar of ebay, otherwise you won't be able to play a lot of games.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back