connecting and reconnecting sata hard drive

psy81

Gawd
I plan on upgrading my CPU in the near future and have several hard drives. When I do upgrade my CPU I will have to disconnect everything. I was wondering if I have to reconnect my sata hard drives to the exact sata ports on the motherboard that each hard drive was previously connected to (i.e., primary drive to sata 1). Would it be okay to reconnect my primary drive to sata 2 or sata 3 on the motherboard instead?

Please advise and thanks in advance.

Unless you are using RAID features, it is a non-issue. You can choose boot drive in BIOS.

For consistency, you can mark each drive with either its actual port on board or relative value (1st, 2nd, etc...).

theres really no need to like solomutt said unless obviously you have some sata 6gbps drives and some sata II drives.. but jackofalltrades suggestion is the best in my opinion if you really want to make sure they connect to the same ports.

Not that it can't be done, but.... have you ever tried to put masking tape on those tiny ports on the board?

I use electrical tape of different colors for marking my sata cables so I can make sure they go in to the right plug

I usually just use the screen print on the motherboard. I'll put my boot hard drive/ssd in port 0 (or 1 depending on how the board is marked).

Unless you are using RAID features, it is a non-issue. You can choose boot drive in BIOS.

For consistency, you can mark each drive with either its actual port on board or relative value (1st, 2nd, etc...).

This is accurate. You should be fine connecting JBOD drives to any SATA port although you may have to re-order the boot order in your motherboard bios. With RAID arrays you should connect to the same port (although this may also be a non-issue with more expensive pci-e controllers).

Back