Congrats to everyone on retaking #1

Killer[MoB]

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2008
As of this update, we are back in 1st place.
Last updated: Sun Jan 11 15:10:28 PST 2004
[H]ardOCP 26237979.9
Overclockers Australia 26237695

It looks good and feels good......so it must be good.

Enough of this celebrating. The real work is not yet finished.

GREAT JOB GUYS

Num1.jpg

<big sigh> Finally.......feels so good, again;)

The impossible is done again by the unstoppable:D

Now on with the science

BillR

Okay everybody can turn of there machine(s) again .. hehe j/k .. build more fold more :D

We have to hold strong and [H]ard now. We took 1st and we need to keep 1st.

A round of your beers of choice to the [H]ard Brethren.

Well done, my friends, well done.

GET BACK TA WORK :p

Well done to everyone on the [H]ardOCP team for a great effort on taking the No1 Folding team title from OCAU.

Ok now that we are in first place it's time to celebrate. I just ordered another XP 2800 and an MSI board. Should be here by Wednesday. Anybody got any good 8 port KVM's that they could reccommend ? :)

Congrats everyone on a lot of hard work and a job well done!!

Now, let's work even harder and find some cures!

30000.gif

i gotta say it "WE'RE NUMBER ONE"

feels great. im also climbing quite nicely. but slowly running out of steam

one thing i gotta say is. OCAU did a helluva job, and they brought us togeather as a team.

great job u guys down under. you did a bang up job

Great job on taking back the #1 spot from the Aussies :) Don't let 'em sneak up on us again like they did before ;D

Well, they didn't exactly sneak up...As I recall they whumped us pretty good:D

Heck of a crew they are indeed.;)

BillR

Awesome work everybody, now let's put the pedal down and put some real distance between us so they can't catch up easily. :)

While we did a great job of ramping and recruiting, don't forget that the main reason they fell behind was the loss of DGROMS (If I recall the name correctly). Losing 600+ machines was a huge blow to the project, regardless of which team they were on.

Now we have to STAY in front, and keep the lead. Borg on!

congrats everyone, it appears the giant zombie squad is no longer crushing our nuts eh ?

(whoever's sig that happens to be in)

fold on !

Originally posted by Octavo
congrats everyone, it appears the giant zombie squad is no longer crushing our nuts eh ?

fold on !

Negative, giant zombie squad refers to google ;) That was back in the day when we were deciding to abandon or not abandon folding cause google was just crushing everyone.

Great job guys! Thanks to all the new members who joined, you guys really make a BIG DIFFERENCE.

As always,
FOLD ON!!!

Originally posted by Octavo

fold on !

That was referring to the Google team.

Not the fine ladies and gentlemen from the Overclockers Australia Folding@home team....:rolleyes:

yay #1

now i just want to get top 50 overall :D

@57 atm

We will be back don't you worry... :p.

Bu tCongrats to you all, its all for the one cause eh, so drink up and party on now because soon we will come racing back and fly right past you (I hope) :D

Congrats to the [H] team for fighting their way back to the top spot and taking the Folding@Home crown. Awesome job!

BTW, the zombie reference was about Google and they were quoting me. ;)

Originally posted by Bill Clo:

While we did a great job of ramping and recruiting, don't forget that the main reason they fell behind was the loss of DGROMS (If I recall the name correctly). Losing 600+ machines was a huge blow to the project, regardless of which team they were on.
I forget, was DGROM's production so great that OCAU would reclaim the #1 spot if he were to come back even with our current increased production?

Originally posted by pduan87:

Negative, giant zombie squad refers to google That was back in the day when we were deciding to abandon or not abandon folding cause google was just crushing everyone.
Where's Google? I don't even see them in the top 20? :confused:

Originally posted by APOLLO
I forget, was DGROM's production so great that OCAU would reclaim the #1 spot if he were to come back even with our current increased production?

They would still be out-producing us by about 20k/week.

If you check the Statsman's stats, you'll see that Google is broken out of the stats, just like "Default". That was done so that only "real" teams were listed in the stats. I haven't even thought about Google since that change was made. It really helped to bring interest back though, since we didn't see ourselves competing with (and getting stomped by) the zombie squad. You'll notice that Google has more than doubled our production in only the short time they've been folding - but we've closed that gap nicely so they're not completely stomping us, which is pretty amazing considering what Google has to work with.

That's because they're up there in the actual #1 spot. Too many people bitched to Stanford about including them with the other "teams" so Stanford associated them with the "Default" team.
The amazing thing to me is it takes a human to decide to add Folding to the Google toolbar and then run the program in an effort to help. So a human somewhere is making the concious decision to run Folding, even though they personally will never have any stats associated with their name anywhere except under the name of the team itself, Google. They are truely doing it to help science and not increase their personal point counts in some stats database. However a corporate farmer who has access to hundreds of PCs and installs the client under his or her personal name as a service, for instance, without the user of that system having any idea what it is doing in the background, that's called a Borg by D.C'ers and is considered OK and acceptable and will gain you a "pat on the back" for a job well done in helping the "team" effort.

Now don't think I'm trying to lessen the effort or contribution of the corporate farmer, not at all. Quite the contrary, it is by those efforts that we see some outstanding production brought to the project and that is truely a great thing. But at the same time some people have tried to almost de-humanize the ingenuity and effort on the part of Google folks to figure out a way to get more HUMANS involved doing the project vs mindless Borgs. I think they deserve a big round of applause and complete recognition for those efforts instead of being shunned as some mindless Folding machine out there creating enough results to pass all other teams. Add on top of that the fact that every Google result is done without optimizations like SSE flags being set on AMD CPUs. Imagine what kind of results they would be submitting if they could use Gromacs and SSE flags.

The competition between OCAU and [H]OCP is great for generating added results for the project and adding an air of fun, and both teams deserve a big round of applause for those efforts. However the #1 team has been Google for quite a while now and your two teams have been fighting for 2nd place. Maybe, just maybe, it's time for someone to come up with a plan to honestly take the #1 Folding team away from Google and keep it there. But it cannot be done alone and the longer we wait to do it the [H]arder that challenge will become because Google isn't getting any closer and if they do start running with Gromacs and optimizations it will get even farther away. So do you have what it takes to really be #1 ? Only time will tell.

Originally posted by Mattman
If you check the Statsman's stats, you'll see that Google is broken out of the stats, just like "Default". That was done so that only "real" teams were listed in the stats. ...
StatsMan stats just reflect Stanford's categorization of Google and Default.

BTW let's not get into this Google argument again. It was hashed over to death when Stanford got into bed with Google.

oh comon seriously... im sure its something that is "checked" by default...

how many people actually uncheck things installers want to do ?

hence all the spyware in the world :rolleyes:

anyway, this is about kicking ass, and were #1 so :p damn austrians... errr.. australians :D

great job fellas. i'm sorry i can't be of more help at the present time.

Since no one here has claimed it I am pretty sure that it was my WU that put us over the top. :D

Congrats to all!

Kroz

Originally posted by FLECOM
oh comon seriously... im sure its something that is "checked" by default...

:D

Instead of assuming what it is why not download it and see how it actually operates for yourself, I did. It requires getting the Google toolbar, then selecting their D.C. plug-in and downloading it. Then you have to turn the Folding on and tell it to start. Each step requiring the Human to initiate it.

Originally posted by rkhands
StatsMan stats just reflect Stanford's categorization of Google and Default.

BTW let's not get into this Google argument again. It was hashed over to death when Stanford got into bed with Google.

Of course you're simply reflecting the way Stanford is displaying the stats. I believe I stated it was Stanford's decision to do it that way after people bitched about it. Google "got into bed" with Stanford and their Folding because the two guys that started Google are Stanford alumni. They are attempting to help their alma mater and thank goodness they are. It brings a bunch of processing power to the project. That team is #1 simply because they figured out a way to exploite their technology in much larger numbers. If I could figure out a method to get people to download and run the client like they have I would do it in a heartbeat. As long as it's Folding.

I'm sure we all agree that folding with the Google bar is great, and it's brought a lot of power to the F@H project, but I don't understand what your point is, CIWS.

Do you want us all to just start replacing "#1" with "#2" in any discussion regarding H vs. OCAU? Do you want us to acknowledge Google as a genuine "team" that holds the #1 spot?

In that case, why was there never a "Team Anonymous" that held the #1 spot? In my view, team Google is the same as unteamed, anonymous users who have simply been introduced to Folding@Home by Google rather than through Stanford's page.

If the Google folders had any sort of real community and acted in the ways in which a team traditionally acts, I might say sure.... but it really isn't that way.

Why bother with semantics in this case?

Originally posted by LPerry
Congrats to the [H] team for fighting their way back to the top spot and taking the Folding@Home crown. Awesome job!

BTW, the zombie reference was about Google and they were quoting me. ;)

Ahhh yes, it was that fateful day a long long time ago ;) What have you been up to? What team do you fold for now?

CIWS, you are still folding for the [H] right?

FOLD ON!!!

Back