Congrats to everyone on retaking #1

Originally posted by CIWS
Instead of assuming what it is why not download it and see how it actually operates for yourself, I did. It requires getting the Google toolbar, then selecting their D.C. plug-in and downloading it. Then you have to turn the Folding on and tell it to start. Each step requiring the Human to initiate it.

Of course you're simply reflecting the way Stanford is displaying the stats. I believe I stated it was Stanford's decision to do it that way after people bitched about it. Google "got into bed" with Stanford and their Folding because the two guys that started Google are Stanford alumni. They are attempting to help their alma mater and thank goodness they are. It brings a bunch of processing power to the project. That team is #1 simply because they figured out a way to exploite their technology in much larger numbers. If I could figure out a method to get people to download and run the client like they have I would do it in a heartbeat. As long as it's Folding.

Damn, why doesn't the [H] do something like this? Would Stanford care if we had an autoinstaller on the [H] main page to download that installed the client, asked for a user name and then put team 33 in there? Hell, [H] gets hits out the yingyang and could really add to the science if there was a permanent link on the frontpage like this.

There is a "Team Anonymous" it is called "Default". And by CIWS's standards for a team they would qualify. A HUMAN must download the client, install it and run it on purpose. Just because they choose not to associate themselves with another team, they get "defaulted". In fact team "Default" is currently outproducing Google and by all rights should have the blue line and [H] and OCAU are battling for #3. Again, using CIWS's standards for a 'team'.

The biggest flaw I see in CIWS's assertions is that Google:

1. Got a special client created for them by Stanford that could be installed by the Google toolbar.
2. Got special permission from Stanford to distribute said client.
3. Said client without the user's input, automatically associates said user with the Google "team".

So, yes a HUMAN has to decide to download and install and configure the client to run Folding, and that has been GREAT for the project. BUT, they do not have a choice about their team number (without a hack), nor do they even probably know about other teams. Hence, the distinction between aggregates (Default and Google) and teams (everyone else).

BTW the "teams" outproduce the "aggregates" by better than 3:1, so who is really bringing the firepower to Folding?

SilkenRogue - No what I was hoping to see was some people figure out a way to outproduce all other teams which includes Google vs just accepting the fact those other challenges don't exist because it's convenient to discount them.

DooKey - This is what I'm talking about. Instead of just saying "Yea, we're #1" Start trying to figure out how to make it that way by bringing down the mighty "evil" google zombie.

rkhands - The people know who their Folding is going for, Google. That's the application they download, Google's D.C. plug-in. Don't make it sound like it's some mystery. It's a shame you consider it to be some kind of a flaw that Google worked out a situation where they could distribute a Folding client via their toolbar and have it work on the project. Obviously it seems to be working quite well, so it would appear Stanford was correct in allowing it to work on the project. Some of those people know about the project because they've visited Stanford's Folding forum and posted as one of the many members of Google's team asking questions about it. All of the others totaled may produce 3:1, but their efforts are not coordinated. If you could convince them to all Fold for the same team, then you would have a 3:1 advantage. Right now it's squat and Google gets farther away.

I think CIWS may be proposing that ocau & [H] unite and together fight the proverbial google dragon.

How it would/could be handled by stanford is another thing. Would they combine the 2 scores at their end so team x number is 33 & 24 or would we have to start over at 0 with a team number of some 6 digits?

If we unite can I propose an unified team name?

[H]ardarses.

"[H]ard" being obviously us and "arses" again being clearly the aussies :D (j/k Bollocks et al ;) )

CONGRATULATIONS [H]orde

FOLD ON!

(this thread has gotten wayyyyy off topic!)

Originally posted by neevo
I think CIWS may be proposing that ocau & [H] unite and together fight the proverbial google dragon.

How it would/could be handled by stanford is another thing. Would they combine the 2 scores at their end so team x number is 33 & 24 or would we have to start over at 0 with a team number of some 6 digits?

If we unite can I propose an unified team name?

[H]ardarses.

"[H]ard" being obviously us and "arses" again being clearly the aussies :D (j/k Bollocks et al ;) )

i think it would be more of a top two teams outperforming google.... dunno bout you but im not in a hurry to switch teams :p

Originally posted by DooKey:

Hell, [H] gets hits out the yingyang and could really add to the science if there was a permanent link on the frontpage like this.
Yes, I've been suggesting that since 2001, but it remains that this site belongs to others and we can only suggest changes. Ultimately, the decision lies in other people's hands. Although unknown to me, there must be some very compelling reasons why such a decision has hereto been declined.

Originally posted by CIWS:

So do you have what it takes to really be #1 ?
If any team has, this team definitely does.

30000.gif

Originally posted by neevo

By jove, I think they've got it. At least one possibility. But maybe not the only solution. The question : How could it be accomplished ? What would it take ?

turmelle - The teams certainly deserve congrats, but the quest for that top #1 spot is by no means off topic, it's in the thread title. If we need the real challenge that's certainly it because as [H] and OCAU trade position in the rankings, Google keeps getting farther away. It's one thing to say it can be done and quite another to actually be able to do it.

This is a silly argument. Google is simply not a team. They do indeed put in effort to download and set up the client, but it's not what we call a "team" effort. This obviously doesn't diminish what is being done by Google, but it does disqualify them from being what we call a team. If we're calling Google a team, we can't possibly forget the mighty Team Default that's currently kicking the tar out of Google on their way to number 1!

As far as banding together with OCAU to beat Google, I can do a little simple math and say that as of the last update it was:
Google: 161,358/day
[H]-OCAU: 220,627/day

Looks like we win. (eventually) :D
If we just keep going, we're all eventually going to win! Fold on!

Originally posted by Mattman
This is a silly argument. Google is simply not a team.

I see your not really up to the challenge and would simply prefer to continue to ignore the situation. Good luck staying #2. I'll let this die right here.

Originally posted by CIWS
I see your not really up to the challenge and would simply prefer to continue to ignore the situation. Good luck staying #2. I'll let this die right here.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

... for team Under-[H]ard?

I don't think so! ;)

Although Google is still outperforming either of our teams, the daily gap is getting less and less. Within mere decades we will overtake them.

Would be neat to see a combined listing for HardOCP + OCAU under the "aggregate teams" section on statsman ;)

CIWS said:

However the #1 team has been Google for quite a while now and your two teams have been fighting for 2nd place.

"Your two teams"

Who is "your"? Are you no longer a part of this?

BillR

Well, you could look at it this way:

How bout we combine with Google to beat OCAU? We'll never have to worry about them, or prolly anybody else again.

I think this whole combining teams thing is a bad idea. If stanford lets us combine teams like this, whats to stop them from letting everybody combine into bigger teams, leading to an eventual 1 on 1 competition, or even worse, 1 big team? I think that the only way to combine teams, if thats what people really want to do, is not going to be going through stanford. We'd have to unite under team Hocp or OCAU, or start something new. I dont think theres enough people either here or at ocau that would want to do any of those options.

Originally posted by BillR
CIWS said:

"Your two teams"

Who is "your"? Are you no longer a part of this?

BillR

Well, it would appear so. His production has dropped off considerably. His production at the last update is 556 points in the past week, and about 0 for the last 5 days.

So where are you Col. Kurtz[H]????

Originally posted by foreignkid
Well, you could look at it this way:

How bout we combine with Google to beat OCAU? We'll never have to worry about them, or prolly anybody else again.

I think this whole combining teams thing is a bad idea. If stanford lets us combine teams like this, whats to stop them from letting everybody combine into bigger teams, leading to an eventual 1 on 1 competition, or even worse, 1 big team? I think that the only way to combine teams, if thats what people really want to do, is not going to be going through stanford. We'd have to unite under team Hocp or OCAU, or start something new. I dont think theres enough people either here or at ocau that would want to do any of those options.

You can combine stats data without actually combining teams. For example, I bet it would be possible on statsman to add a listing under the aggregate teams table that showed the combined stats of HardOCP and OCAU, as well as a combined member listing.

Would be neat.... we'd still be separate teams entirely, but you'd just have another layer of stats to look at. Could spur inter-team Gauntlets as well :D

DONT WE CURRENTLY HAVE A INTER-TEAM GUANTLET
/CAPS SORRY INVOICEING atm grr@capslock

Originally posted by badg3er
DONT WE CURRENTLY HAVE A INTER-TEAM GUANTLET
/CAPS SORRY INVOICEING atm grr@capslock

Umm, we are past you now...no need to worry about a gauntlet!:D

Just kidding...

What we have here is a team.
A collection of people willingly and knowingly fighting for a cause.

Google is not a team. They have an option which is automatically checked the last time I looked, to download folding with the toolbar.

There are hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions, who are unwittingly folding. That's great. I think it's wonderful for science.

But, as Larry said, it is a giant zombie squad, not a team.

There's not really a comparison for it in real life. It just seems like an awfully dumb idea to disband the [H]orde because people are having size issues. ;)

Back