confused on CPU paste

Tradio

Limp Gawd
there are so many opinions of on how to spread CPU thermal paste, what is the actual best method? I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO on top of a i5-2500k (Asus p8z68-V PRO mobo)

should i put a pea in the middle and then just push the cooler on top or should i spread out using a credit card?

I've always spread it because doing the pea method can result in uneven deployment over the CPU when you tighten down the HSF.

And the spread method can result in air pockets. It doesn't matter, just slap the paste on and call it a day.

I've always spread it because doing the pea method can result in uneven deployment over the CPU when you tighten down the HSF.

The CPU is under the heat spreader in the middle. So it doesn't really matter too much if the edges aren't completely covered. Which is why people use the "grain of rice" method as it mirrors the shape of the CPU underneath, though it depends on the paste and how spreadable it is, some thick pastes don't spread too well so need some assistance.....

Of course you could use one of those meting metal pads for perfect coverage. :D

I always do a larger dot in the middle and then smaller dots closer to the corner of the heat spreader.

I than put the heatsink on and squish it down by hand while wiggling it a bit to help the compound spread out.

Then I pull the heatsink off an add a tiny bit more anywhere that there isn't coverage.

This has always worked a lot better than any othe rmethod I have used.

Makes sure that there is full coverage.. and if it isn't quite even, it will spread out more evenly once the heatsink is attached and the system heats up the compound.

I use the rice/pea method. But once I mount the heat sink, I then remove it and check the spread. Depending on what happened, I either remove or add some the next mount. Using Isopropyl to clean between the installs. As adding more after a mount will cause issues. Best to clean and start all over.

Ive always done a grain of rice sized blob in the middle and let the cooler/waterblock do its thing. The first few builds I removed and checked but after so many years, I don't even check anymore. If your temps are too high after you boot it should be fairly obvious it isnt mounted right.

I use the pea/rice blob in the middle of the IHS method and have since the Athlon64 single core days. Prior to that, I was just using whatever crap came pre-applied to the HSF.

Were you referring to someone when you posted this, or just a general post?

I think he was just elaborating on this part of your post:

Use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean between the installs, as adding more after a mount will cause issues. Best to clean and start all over.

It's of utmost importance to check your work with an infrared thermal imaging camera because not doing so is outright criminal negligence and pure insanity.

Yeah thats what I use.

I disagree with him on the paper towel comment though. I've been using 91% and paper towels for years and never had an issue. It works just fine.

Some paper towels aren't that good though and can be more...toiler paper and get stuck to things when wet.. :D

Back