Confused between Dell U2311H Rev. A00/A01 or Nec EA231WMi

Hello guys, my main concern is to watch movies and then games so which one is the way to go Dell U2311H Rev. A00/A01 or Nec EA231WMi?

Could u plz tell me and help me in this as u have any knowledge regarding Dell U2311H Rev. A00/A01?

Is backlight bleed and tinting issue has been really improved in Rev. A01?

coz Dell U2311H Rev. A00 is only available here so what to do now?

Plz do tell me more information between both the revisions?

I have just talked to the dell customer service representative and they said that backlight bleeding and tinting issue has been resolved in the rev A00.

but still I m in dilemma about this term.

Also out of these 2 LCD's, which one is the way to go as I have already mentioned my usage.

Thank you

Hello guys, my main concern is to watch movies and then games so which one is the way to go Dell U2311H Rev. A00/A01 or Nec EA231WMi?

Could u plz tell me and help me in this as u have any knowledge regarding Dell U2311H Rev. A00/A01?

Is backlight bleed and tinting issue has been really improved in Rev. A01?

coz Dell U2311H Rev. A00 is only available here so what to do now?

Plz do tell me more information between both the revisions?

I have just talked to the dell customer service representative and they said that backlight bleeding and tinting issue has been resolved in the rev A00.

but still I m in dilemma about this term.

Also out of these 2 LCD's, which one is the way to go as I have already mentioned my usage.

Thank you
Had both monitors you speak of both great hard to go wrong with either , as for you talking to a representative , dont listen to them they're trying to make sales . .

I stayed with the Nec if that helps any , better colors for sure but not by much :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCAf0oj8VBw

Last edited:
Had both monitors you speak of both great hard to go wrong with either , as for you talking to a representative , dont listen to them they're trying to make sales . .

I stayed with the Nec if that helps any , better colors for sure but not by much :D

Thank you so much for ur input:)

Any backlight bleeding and tinting issue u have faced with this NEC LCD?

kindly enlighten me plz plz

Thank you so much for ur input:)

Any backlight bleeding and tinting issue u have faced with this NEC LCD?

kindly enlighten me plz plz

I have a little glow from the bottom , but i think that's normal . . no tinting issues at all
you definitely have to play with the settings to get right cuase out of the box the nec look washed out but after tweaking , and getting prad color profile , look very good to me

I have a little glow from the bottom , but i think that's normal . . no tinting issues at all
you definitely have to play with the settings to get right cuase out of the box the nec look washed out but after tweaking , and getting prad color profile , look very good to me

Thank you :)

I bought both and returned both. The AG coating on the Dell was MUCH better than the NEC IMO. The NEC had so much AG coating I thought the screen was dirty. I like the UI on the Dell better too. Neither was enough of an upgrade to justify replacing my current monitor. I'm insanely picky though.

I bought both and returned both. The AG coating on the Dell was MUCH better than the NEC IMO. The NEC had so much AG coating I thought the screen was dirty. I like the UI on the Dell better too. Neither was enough of an upgrade to justify replacing my current monitor. I'm insanely picky though.

:confused::confused::confused:

Now u r confusing me more :mad:

There's no QC issues with my U2311H whatsoever. Both are fantastic monitors, but the Dell is a bit more responsive for gaming in terms of motion display.

ok guys by reading all of ur posts so plz tell me which monitor is the way to go and plz tell me this according to my mentioned usage coz it is getting more dubious.

The u2311h has a faster tested response time (reviewer tests, not the factory listing). The ea231wmi has more features with things like a light sensor, better cable management, speakers, etc. These differences are very concrete. The other differences are very minimal, and is hard to argue which is better. In fact people who have used both give differing reports on things like the AG coating, which shows this. Image quality wise, the Dell has some slightly higher measured numbers for contrast/black level/color accuracy, but some people report that the ea231mi handles gradients and shadow details slightly better. Quality control is a hit or miss (check both owners threads) especially early on, but seems to be more or less acceptable now with recent orders.

If you are worried about response time, you might as well get the Dell. Otherwise you might as well get which one is cheaper or you have a brand preference for. They are too close in performance to really definitively say which is better in other categories.

At the time I was purchasing, the u2311h was much cheaper ($70 savings), and really I could not see anything specifically better from the ea231wmi to justify the price difference, so I went that way.

both have great quality like i said before . . .

Dell Pros
just a bit faster monitor time

Nec Pros
Better darks
Quality control . . . you will get a good quality screen first time around

I am bending towards NEC now, have called and emailed NEC distributor about it's availability and price, he will let me know about this on monday.

Ignore that - - - - - . . . Ive had both at the same time side to side and have other members on this forum . . and yes the nec display black a bit better with shadows . . you can even you tube it and theres a guy showing side to side :D . . . . plus read the beginning of the forum how many of those dell u2311 had to go back what revision are they on now . . . who wants to ship 2 or 3 monitor to get a good one . . .
Play the Dell lottery if you want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCAf0oj8VBw

Last edited:
I'm the one who actually posted evidence here. I don't give a crap what you say you've had. Are you saying you're better than TFTCentral at ranking monitors?

I'm the one who actually posted evidence here. I don't give a crap what you say you've had. Are you saying you're better than TFTCentral at ranking monitors?

No im not saying im better than anyone . . . Im saying Ive tried both products . . . actually I tried 2 nec,s and the at the end I felt I had gotten a better quality product with them . . .

I don't give a crap what you say you've had
Hey dude don't lose your cool ok if you want me to say the Dell U2311 is better I will lol :p

Hi every one my subjective comparison of 2 un calibrated panels side by side is better then scientific fact. I have no experience with calibration, but trust me I am right.

Back in your hole, troll.

It is scientific fact that the Dell is better then the NEC.

I came here to ask this just to get rid of my dilemma but i have became hell lot of confused here :O

The Dell u2311h has all the better measured performance data, except for dynamic contrast (but this stat is really useless). This can be confirmed over multiple review sites. The NEC ea231wmi has more documented features like ambient light sensor, better cable management, and etc.

There are conflicting subjective user reports (meaning going both ways) from users in regards to gradients, shadow details, and AG coating strength. Some people seem to believe the NEC has better quality control, which I don't know why this belief persists? If you don't believe me search both owners thread (the same for the other LCDs using panels made by LG, more on that in a bit), they all have reported tinting issues, especially early in the screens release. Reviewers also measure the same uniformity issue for both screens.

From a technical standpoint to address some of the issues mentioned above. They both actually use panels manufactured and developed by LG. Technical data shows they at most use a minor variation of the same panel, if not the same panel design. All LG panels also reportedly use the same designated AG coating. The main performance difference is the over drive applied to the Dell, which is why the measured response time difference is the biggest difference between the two. Also with that being all said, how much actual QC difference do you think could be between the two?

Objectively speaking the NEC also tends to be priced higher (especially if you consider sale prices for the Dell). From all the data presented, I do not see how you can really say that the NEC definitively justifies the higher premium without accounting for brand bias. Maybe certain biases are put in by certain users to justify this price premium? I don't know.

For what it is worth, my relatively older u2311h uncalibrated passes lagom black test to 1 and white to 254, and has no defects. And like I said earlier, I bought it at the time because the other options could not compelling justify there higher price.

For what it is worth, my relatively older u2311h uncalibrated passes lagom black test to 1 and white to 254, and has no defects.
Some people believe the QC issues of the Dell have been mitigated in the more recent production batches. When did you get yours and is it a rev. A00 or A01? I'm also debating whether to buy this over the NEC, especially because of less aggressive AG coating it's supposed to have. What can you say about this?

And like I said earlier, I bought it at the time because the other options could not compelling justify there higher price.

Should I be looking at something else now? I willing to spend up to $600 and my needs are 23" 1920x1080 or 24" 1920x1200. An included ergonomic stand is a huge plus, but not indispensable.

Some people believe the QC issues of the Dell have been mitigated in the more recent production batches. When did you get yours and is it a rev. A00 or A01? I'm also debating whether to buy this over the NEC, especially because of less aggressive AG coating it's supposed to have. What can you say about this?

Mines relatively older, no the oldest, but not a newer one either. June Rev 0, ordered in late July. Bought new off Dell during a sale ($280 or $290) higher then the current sales.

For the quality control when I was buying, I looked through all the owners threads for the other LG panels, and searched for other complaints online. Honestly from what I found at the time it didn't seem any worse (or better lol...) then the other choices. To me it just seems if you are going to pick another company using a LG panel hoping for a more uniform one without pixel defects, it just as much a roll of dice. Some higher end I believe Eizo, Lacie and NEC models (think $$$$ high end) actually do panel selection I believe, but none in this relatively low price range for sure.

In regards to the AG coating, technical information points to LG using the same AG coating for all its panels. I don't think anyone can definitively say if there is any variation unless some form of more controlled test is done. Such as maybe taking up close shots of the pixels and comparing the grain.

Should I be looking at something else now? I willing to spend up to $600 and my needs are 23" 1920x1080 or 24" 1920x1200. An included ergonomic stand is a huge plus, but not indispensable.

The u2311h still seems like the value all rounder of this category in my opinion (especially if you consider sales). You look at the NEC, at best it is arguable slightly better in IQ in certain areas from a subjective stand point. But unless you need its other features, you are getting a definitive drop in response times, while coming in more expensive (here the Dell goes ~240-330, while the NEC I've only seen at ~360+).

You look at the 1920x1200 options, like the Dell u2410 and hp zr24, sure they are better in terms of resolution, and maybe at viewing angles. They also come in with much worse black levels and contrast. So unless you really need the extra vertical or other features (like inputs and wide gamut in the Dell), I can't really rationalize the price difference (the u2410 for instance is roughly ~2x the cost of the u2311h)

Then there is the 120hz screens, they are more pricey as well, and while better in terms of motion performance are much worse in other areas. Personally I don't like first generation type products, to me they tend to carry too high of a price premium and sometimes have some issues down the road. For instance Open3D (used by AMD) will require DP or HDMI 1.4, yet all the current ones are tied into the Dual link DVI solution used by Nvidia. The benefits of 120hz in motion are there, but I will wait for the more refined 2nd generation before considering them.

The u2311h isn't perfect, it isn't the best in all areas, but it has good all around performance at a compelling price. I don't like everything about it, did they really need to skip the HDMI port for instance? Is 1:1 (slowly disappearing for some reason), aspect and not just 4:3 scaling really that hard/costly to implement?

That being said, Benq has a new line of VA panels out, with one as low as ~$250 it seems, but still need more impressions/reviews of it to say what it is like. Likewise LG has announced a line up of IPS screens that will likely supplant the one currently being used in the Dell, NEC and Viewsonic. But there is nothing concrete on that front yet.

They are both similar, but the Dell is a good, what, $80 cheaper (if you get it on sale, which you should try to. It's not very hard). I don't know NECs warranty or support, but I know Dells is awesome, and have used it before.

I believe more A01's are shipping now, and in the near future I'm sure all will be A01's. I found no QC problems with my recent purchase (A01), and I'm incredibly, OCD status, picky with these things.

Literally, my only "complaint" with the monitor is the IPS glow. But that's an unavoidable downside to a technology with advantages that far outweigh it's shortcomings.

If I were you I'd get the dell, and take the money you save to get a calibration tool (if you don't already have one). I bet that will you get you a better picture than the Dell OR NEC would without one =p

Calibration tool is damn costly which I cannot afford at the moment so I will buy only Dell U2311H watever the revision is but I am hoping for the A01. Let's see which revision is written in my luck.

Hope for the best.

Yoooooo \m/

I have got the U2311H Rev. A01 and it will come in my hands within 5 days. I have ordered this monitor just now.

Thank you everyone for all ur support :)
Thanks once again.

Back