Computex 2024 Preview: The Hardware Side

Computex 2025, will be quite different, many companies that spend a lot on AI hardware will not have a nice bottom line return to go with and will need to shift (or AI tokens will be incredibly cheaper to produce and that will be the angle).

Gonna nab a 9950x. Just hope the memory controller has improved, as I'm eyeing 4x48gb since my system is a 3d workstation. Would be nice to avoid the 4 stick frequency problem.
I would absolutely LOVE a 4 channel memory controller in the consumer space. I fear AMD and Intel will never do it because it would infringe on the Xeon and Threadripper products.
But if they do, I’ll be buying at least 4.

I would absolutely LOVE a 4 channel memory controller in the consumer space. I fear AMD and Intel will never do it because it would infringe on the Xeon and Threadripper products.
Thread ripper for the masses ?

32 zen 7c cores in one ccd ??

One can dream, but I think monolithic CPU dies are a thing of the past. Even today's TR packages are made up of multiple 8-core CCDs.

On a single CCD that would be insane, I’d have to say no, maybe 16 on a single CCD but I think the cache trade off would be painful.
Cache is the expensive part of the chips and with too many cores you will either see a huge cost increase or a cut back.
But dare to dream!

On a single CCD that would be insane, I’d have to say no, maybe 16 on a single CCD but I think the cache trade off would be painful.
Cache is the expensive part of the chips and with too many cores you will either see a huge cost increase or a cut back.
But dare to dream!
Zen 6 will have three different core complexes based on what MLID leaked. A standard 8 core, 16 core classic, and 32c dense complexes. So there will be 32 core single CCD's in the new gen in 2 years or so. Guessing the 16 core is the Zen 6c, and the 32 a new complex specifically for enterprise. Hoping we see 24/32 core on the consumer side with the next architecture, would be great for those like myself who work with 3D, but don't want to shell out immense sums for threadripper which ends up being obsolete shortly after release considering it hits markets before the new gen hits. You'd think AMD would get these chips out first to let the enthusiasts get a good lifeline of their hardware....But no...They release them normally months before they migrate to a new architecture...=*(.

Agreed, but not likely gonna happen.

Last edited:
cache trade off would be painful.
Even if they put a lot of it vertically over it ?

Current 3d cpu have 96MB of L3, for a 32 core would not be that far from regular 32mb we have now (by cores), just need to push it from 96 to 128....

Agreed, but not likely gonna happen.
What could happen in the next 3 years, 64 gig stick working at DDR-5 8000mhz speed (which would be not that far from 8 channel of DDR-4 2666 of not so long ago and faster than 4-channel 3600 or there is more to having more channel than bandwidth ?)

Current 3d cpu have 96MB of L3, for a 32 core would not be that far from regular 32mb we have now (by cores), just need to push it from 96 to 128....

What could happen in the next 3 years, 64 gig stick working at DDR-5 8000mhz speed (which would be not that far from 8 channel of DDR-4 2666 of not so long ago and faster than 4-channel 3600 or there is more to having more channel than bandwidth ?)
All I can say :LOL: is that I will be doing a lot of grovelling to my Chief Financial Officer, a/k/a SWMBO, so i can buy these products.

It’s not a matter of speed but logistics, 2 channels limits 2 threads to talking to ram at any given time.
If the core count increases but the channels don’t you will more frequently encounter states where a thread is left waiting for memory access. And faster speeds is good for the transmission but the turn around with lots of cores is more dependent on latency which is increasing faster than not with DDR5.

The 2 channel memory issue is one of the big limitations in keeping most applications limited 6 cores at a time. If you get really clever you can spread it out but it gets tricky for non linear tasks. Encoding you’ll be fine that’s more a quantity thing but software with lots of IO will start bottlenecking.

The 3D stacking tech also gets more complicated as they scale down the main dies and for the C cores they removed the TSVs to save space removing the stacked cache as an option there.

Last edited:
All I can say :LOL: is that I will be doing a lot of grovelling to my Chief Financial Officer, a/k/a SWMBO, so i can buy these products.
I’m not even going to ask, should this product exist they will be informed that it is needed and that they are required to sign the PO’s accordingly.

Since I have a training allowance in my budget, if I tell them I want to learn about AI in the workplace do you think I could get sign off on a 5090??

I'm just secretly hoping for more memory slots (additional channels would be nice, but would eat into enterprise)... We had it before though, the first generation core i series chips had 6 slots, such as on the x58 platform with triple channel. I could use the additional memory slots as I work with 3D, and the more ram I have the better. Especially when working with physics simulations in Houdini, or the plethora of apps I use simultaneously in 3d which gobble up ram like no tomorrow. After effects can also eat up ram at an alarming rate.

I Just can't justify the price of shelling out for threadripper. If they released the new TR lineup around the same time frame as their consumer line (Zen 5, such as next month), might be able to swing it....But really puts a bad taste such as the last zen 3 to 4 upgrade had around a 50% uplift in multhithreaded 3d workloads. The upcoming zen 5 cpus have around a 50% uplift in multithreaded 3d workloads again compared to the previous architecture. Makes a 24 core thread ripper pointless at that point unless you just need a crap ton of PCI-E lanes and additional memory capacity. For example the 5950X zen 3 chip came out on Nov 5 2020...Zen 3 Threadripper 5965WX came out March 8 2022. Roughly 6 months later on Sep 27 you get the 7950X release...which has a massive uplift in multithreaded that offers similar cpu performance in those 3d workloads to the 24 core threadripper that came out 6 months before....A $700 Zen 4, just matched a $2400 Threadripper part....

Of course the whole Threadripper Pro Lenovo fiasco was a hard pill to swallow. Nice to see it's back in the DIY segment....But spending that much money for it to be already outdated shortly after is rough. Low and behold the same thing is happening again. Threadripper 7960X for $1499 released on Nov 21 2023, a 24 core...Is about to be matched by a 16 core 9950X roughly 7-8 months after in 3D workloads, while obviously offering better single thread IPC uplifts as well. It just doesn't sit well with me. If they released the threadripper lineup at the same time as the main ryzen lineup, I'd be ok with it. Gives you almost 18-24 months of knowing you have the bleeding edge, considering you paid top tier prices....But no, too much to ask apparently. Only reason to justify threadripper is if you are going very high core count, or you absolutely need the extra PCI-E lanes and memory bandwidth/channels/slots.

I'm just secretly hoping for more memory slots (additional channels would be nice, but would eat into enterprise)... We had it before though, the first generation core i series chips had 6 slots, such as on the x58 platform with triple channel. I could use the additional memory slots as I work with 3D, and the more ram I have the better. Especially when working with physics simulations in Houdini, or the plethora of apps I use simultaneously in 3d which gobble up ram like no tomorrow. After effects can also eat up ram at an alarming rate.

I Just can't justify the price of shelling out for threadripper. If they released the new TR lineup around the same time frame as their consumer line (Zen 5, such as next month), might be able to swing it....But really puts a bad taste such as the last zen 3 to 4 upgrade had around a 50% uplift in multhithreaded 3d workloads. The upcoming zen 5 cpus have around a 50% uplift in multithreaded 3d workloads again compared to the previous architecture. Makes a 24 core thread ripper pointless at that point unless you just need a crap ton of PCI-E lanes and additional memory capacity. For example the 5950X zen 3 chip came out on Nov 5 2020...Zen 3 Threadripper 5965WX came out March 8 2022. Roughly 6 months later on Sep 27 you get the 7950X release...which has a massive uplift in multithreaded that offers similar cpu performance in those 3d workloads to the 24 core threadripper that came out 6 months before....A $700 Zen 4, just matched a $2400 Threadripper part....

Of course the whole Threadripper Pro Lenovo fiasco was a hard pill to swallow. Nice to see it's back in the DIY segment....But spending that much money for it to be already outdated shortly after is rough. Lo and behold the same thing is happening again. Threadripper 7960X for $1499 released on Nov 21 2023, a 24 core...Is about to be matched by a 16 core 9950X roughly 7-8 months after in 3D workloads, while obviously offering better single thread IPC uplifts as well. It just doesn't sit well with me. If they released the threadripper lineup at the same time as the main ryzen lineup, I'd be ok with it. Gives you almost 18-24 months of knowing you have the bleeding edge, considering you paid top tier prices....But no, too much to ask apparently. Only reason to justify threadripper is if you are going very high core count, or you absolutely need the extra PCI-E lanes and memory bandwidth/channels/slots.
I swear the Threadripper’s launch so late because they are a PITA to validate. Intel gets all its “pro” validations in place before products launch, AMD seems to start theirs after they launch.

Reactions: Ikasu
like this
I swear the Threadripper’s launch so late because they are a PITA to validate. Intel gets all its “pro” validations in place before products launch, AMD seems to start theirs after they launch.
AMD still has a ways to go before they get to the same levels of efficiency with product rollouts and customer integration as Intel.

Intel has the customer outreach programs, sales rep validation, education etc. AMD is working on it, but ultimately all of that kind of effort gets put into the enterprise/Datacentre side and not the consumer side.

I’m not even going to ask, should this product exist they will be informed that it is needed and that they are required to sign the PO’s accordingly.

Since I have a training allowance in my budget, if I tell them I want to learn about AI in the workplace do you think I could get sign off on a 5090??
Can't speak for you and your boss, but my "boss" doesn't think much of AI. We don't do POs, we do MasterCard and then a monthly payment to the bank.

Can't speak for you and your boss, but my "boss" doesn't think much of AI. We don't do POs, we do MasterCard and then a monthly payment to the bank.
Any expenditures over $5k CAD need to go on a PO any single purchase over 3k on a credit card needs a verbal sign off and a button click.

My bosses think AI is awesome, mostly because it’s making their lives easier right now. Copilot paired with Dynamics for report generation is awesome and they are loving the options it’s giving them.

How often was “AI” spoken?
Would be nice to have PC, Internet, web, social media, mobile, cloud, web 2.0, web 3.0, crypto, etc... word count by year.

Here I wonder if they used the AI speech to text transcript to get the count.

Back