Computers Could Get 100,000 Times Faster Thanks to Laser Light Pulses

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Researchers have figured out a way to use ultrafast light pulses to manipulate and guide electrons in a semiconductor, which could bring us one step closer to quantum computing. During this technique, electrons are moving so quickly that they rarely have an opportunity to collide with one another, which means less heat and the possibility of future computers running at obscene clock rates.

Extremely short, configurable "femtosecond" pulses of light demonstrated by an international team could lead to future computers that run up to 100,000 times faster than today's electronics. The researchers, including engineers at the University of Michigan, showed that they could control the peaks within the laser pulses and also twist the light. The method moves electrons faster and more efficiently than electrical currents—and with reliable effects on their quantum states. It is a step toward so-called "lightwave electronics" and, in the more distant future, quantum computing, said Mackillo Kira, U-M professor of electrical engineering and computer science who was involved in the research.

I assume the same thing that happens if you burn a trace in a current CPU; time to buy another one.

A colleague said that to me about eight or nine years ago: replace the electricity in the circuits with light (well, he said fibre optics.) Let's hope it happens soon! :)

*insert obligatory "sharks with freakin' circuits on their heads" picture*

Where's the obligatory post that throws water on this idea? Educate me, someone!

What happens if a laser malfunctions/dies in a system like this?
That path stops working.
They will no doubt build some redundancy into it but for what remains to be seen.
There will be more than one signal path, it wont be fully serial due to the concern you brought up.
A signal path failure will likely run other paths with a heavier load rather than keep a spare sat idle waiting for a failure.

Where's the obligatory post that throws water on this idea? Educate me, someone!

It's the only solution we have with any hope to fix the slow interconnect problem. It's not easy, but the hard problems are all we have left :D

So they're shooting electrons with lasers until they trigger a phenomenon where it exists in multiple states at once, and theoretically it's possible to take advantage of that, maybe.

Back