• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Computer won't start!! Help please...

jribeiro

n00b
Joined
Dec 3, 2010
Messages
9
Hi there!!

I have an HP m7660pt (you can view the specs here).

My problem is that when I press Power On the fans come up, I hear the fans working for 1-2 seconds and then everything shuts off... Nothing is displayed in the screen and no indication that pc really started. After everything (including fans stop) the front light remais on...

Firstly this problem started to happen once in a while and now I can't turn on the computer at all.

Already tried to unplug almost everything... Even took the CMOS batery off for a while. No luck...

You can view a video of the problem here.

Any idea of what might be wrong??

Please somebody help 'cause I'm going mad here
 
Power supply.

+1,

1. If within warranty, let HP take care of it.
Otherwise:
2. Tell us if you have an older computer you can take a power supply off of, and if so, its (the power supply's) specs.

3. If you old power supply can handle it, we'll tell you to swap it in.

Looking at your current computer specs, your power supply is doomed to fail, just be glad it didn't explode. Mine did once, and I realized that companies will always build your computer out of the cheapest pos they think they can get away with. I've built my own since.
 
Last edited:
+1,

1. If within warranty, let HP take care of it.
Otherwise:
2. Tell us if you have an older computer you can take a power supply off of, and if so, its (the power supply's) specs.

3. If you old power supply can handle it, we'll tell you to swap it in.

Looking at your current computer specs, your power supply is doomed to fail, just be glad it didn't explode. Mine did once, and I realized that companies will always build your computer out of the cheapest pos they think they can get away with. I've built my own since.

Already tried to used one of my other two computers but they don't suit. I'll have to get a new one... And not within warranty.

Can you recommend any PSU that would fit (and not to expensive if possible :) )

Thanks!!
 
HP likes to use proprietary components.

You're gonna hafta get the model number from the old PS and Google it.
 
HP likes to use proprietary components.

You're gonna hafta get the model number from the old PS and Google it.

Eck, if you have to get another one:

http://www.google.com/#num=10&hl=en...p:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&fp=cc7ad1a43d378bba

It's crazy that the official HP website wants to charge a 80$ for a replacement for that... that...

well, now you know how they make their money, put proprietary, guaranteed to fail components in and charge you for replacement parts lol
 
I'm sorry, I think you lost me there... Do I really need to pay 80$ for a PSU from HP??

After all it is a PSU... Aren't the connect cables all the same?
 
Sorry to bother you again...

The power suply in my computer is an HIPRO HP-D3057. Found some on ebay but can't seem to find else where...

One curious thing is that the 500W is a lot cheaper than the 300W. Can you tell me if the 500W PSU will suit me?

Thanks once again...
 
Nice Google job Nightbird!

sarcasm? It's not in any stores I know and 80$ from HP is expensive!


Sorry to bother you again...

The power suply in my computer is an HIPRO HP-D3057. Found some on ebay but can't seem to find else where...

One curious thing is that the 500W is a lot cheaper than the 300W. Can you tell me if the 500W PSU will suit me?

Thanks once again...

go to google, click on shopping, type in "merlot-c 300 watt"

The problem as mentioned is that HP uses their own proprietary power supplies to keep you from switching to cheap and much better quality ones. If that 500 watt is HP, it might be ok, though 20$ + shipping will be hard to beat

from google shopping search:
http://www.cputopia.com/hp-480w-hp-5188-2625.html

Ok, the reviews for that site is BAD, DO NOT USE!

This site is better for a refurbished unit, I still think these HP things are expensive though:
http://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_lookup.asp?pid=68997
 
Last edited:
Say what?

It was an honest "pat on the back"....no sarcasm intended.

Ah ok lol, I thought you were saying I was lazy and just did a google search :D I was :D

from google shopping search:
http://www.cputopia.com/hp-480w-hp-5188-2625.html
^
Ok, the reviews for that site is BAD, DO NOT USE!

This site is better for a refurbished unit, I still think these HP things are expensive though 44$:
http://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_lookup.asp?pid=68997

Problem is that no reputable site will carry HP stuff, for good reason.
 
Last edited:
I'm sorry but my power unit isn't that model but the one I wrote before... At least that's the model it shows in the PSU...
 
Ah ok lol, I thought you were saying I was lazy and just did a google search
I thought you did a great job considering the limited amount of info you were given.


I'm sorry but my power unit isn't that model but the one I wrote before... At least that's the model it shows in the PSU...
In that case buy it directly from HP. This is the listed PS directly from HP for your machine.

Buy it and be done. :)
 
You all did a great job and I really really gratefull!!!

I already ordered the PSU.

Will come back to confirm that the problem was solved.

Anyway thanks once again... I was going mad here :)
 
No problem, just consider building your own if you ever plan to upgrade. Ask for advice here and it'll be faster, better quality, and cheaper! :)
 
Back
Top