• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

computer won't power up

TXCowboy

n00b
Joined
Jul 12, 2010
Messages
6
I have a computer that won't power up. When I push the power button, the CPU and case fans spin briefly then stop. The motherboard does not beep at all but there's a green light on it that indicates there's power going into it. I can't figure out what it could be. I replaced the RAM and still had the same problem. I ruled out the RAM. I also replaced the power supply and I still couldn't get it to work. So, it's not the power supply either. The video card and hard drive are fine too. The only two things I have not tested are the motherboard and the CPU. Could it be that the motherboard is fried? Or do I have a bad CPU? Anybody experienced a similar problem? Thanks.

mobo: asus p5n32 sli se duluxe
ram: 2 GB kingston pc2-6400
psu: Antec true power 480W
video card: ATI Radeon 1800xt
 
My bet is on the motherboard. That chipset was always a tad finicky. But to rule it out, try your CPU in another system if you can.

If it is the motherboard, I say it's time for a completely new build man.
 
I tested everything and motherboard seems to be the problem. The CPU is fine. Any suggestions on a new mobo socket 775?
 
At this point, I wouldn't invest too much money into that outdated platform. So I recommend this mobo as the most you should pay for any socket 775 mobo:
$47 - Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G41 mATX Motherboard

What CPU do you have now BTW?
 
Back
Top