Computer with only a thumb drive

Jagger100

Supreme [H]ardness
Has anyone looked at this. I was half-watching something this weekend and the host mentioned something about a USB thumb drive based PC. Wasn't sure is she was joking or serious.

But is it feasible? I was thinking of a little project like a ITX form factor motherboard with just a thumb drive. Would be for just e-mail and browsing. Everyone in the house has their own thumb drive and if they mess things up, it doesn't mess anyone else up.

Considering it would have to be at least USB 3.0, fwiw.

SDHC, the fastest class is definitely faster than usb3.0, not sure the popularity / price point of usb3.0 drives makes it worth it.

There are versions of Linux that will run off of a USB2.0 thumb drive, DSL and Ubuntu come to mind. And I seem to recall reading someone who had gotten Windows XP to successfully boot off of a thumb drive, perhaps someone has gotten Windows 7 to do the same.

I have run an Ubuntu system from a thumb-drive no worries without any other form of disk drive connected... it wasn't spectacularly quick on a USB 2.0 stick - I'd definitely be looking for USB 3.0 or some other similarly-quick (removable 2.5" SSD?) removable disk.

Absolutely. Go for eSATA though and use external SSDs. One for each member of the house. Little USB 3.0 thumb drives would also definitely work good.

Back