Computer Will Not Work After Overclock

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi guys, I think I broke either the motherboard or CPU.

Here are my PC specs:

Phenom x4 965 BE
G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
ASUS M4A87TD
Sapphire 6850
HAF 922 case
Corsair 650 watt PSU
Cooler Master 212 Plus

I tried to OC the 965 BE. All I did was changed the multiplier to 20 and the voltage to 1.495. After the PC restarted it never went into the BIOS again. So basically what happens now when I turn it on is that the the case fans, lights, motherboard light up but the system never goe into Windows or into BIOS, the BIOS screen never even flashes. I already tried to reset the motherboard using the pin method and also took out the battery for 30 min and it still won't post. When I turn the PC on there is no "beep" indicicating anything is wrong. I tried to start up the PC with just one stick of RAM, same thing, I even tried starting it up without any HDD, it still doesn't post.

Any idea what I should do next?

Hi guys, I think I broke either the motherboard or CPU.

Here are my PC specs:

Phenom x4 965 BE
G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
ASUS M4A87TD
Sapphire 6850
HAF 922 case
Corsair 650 watt PSU
Cooler Master 212 Plus

I tried to OC the 965 BE. All I did was changed the multiplier to 20 and the voltage to 1.495. After the PC restarted it never went into the BIOS again. So basically what happens now when I turn it on is that the the case fans, lights, motherboard light up but the system never goe into Windows or into BIOS, the BIOS screen never even flashes. I already tried to reset the motherboard using the pin method and also took out the battery for 30 min and it still won't post. When I turn the PC on there is no "beep" indicicating anything is wrong. I tried to start up the PC with just one stick of RAM, same thing, I even tried starting it up without any HDD, it still doesn't post.

Any idea what I should do next?
Have you tried a different video card? Maybe even a stick of memory into a different slot?

I don't have a different video card to try, I tried using a stick of ram in a different slot and still the pc will not post. Any other ideas?

remove everything except the CPU, turn it on and it should beep.

Unplug the psu from the wall, detach the 24 pin power connector, remove the cmos battery and jump the cmos reset jumper. Wait about 1-3 hours after unplugging before jumping the cmos switch. That should work.

Ok guys, I tried everything suggest and still nothing works. It's been a couple of days now, I left the battery out for a day, did as jmilcher suggested and still nothing. Is it possible I broke the motherboard? All I did was change the multiplier and the voltage to 1.495 and the settings changed to 4Ghz so I don't think thats a huge increase. Also, my case has plenty of airflow especially with the CPU cooler which has two fans on it for push/pull performance.

I turned on the computer with just the motherboard, Powersupply and CPU in (Ram, HDDs, DVD drive, GPU, CPU fan unplugged) and still the same thing - green light comes on the motherboard but there are no beeps at all (and the PC speaker is plugged in on the motherboard).

Did you test the video card in another system to make sure its working?
The connections to the video card and lcd are all good?

You never know!

I tested another GPU in my pc with the same results as mentioned before.

It's the board. I popped a few of those asus 8 series chipset boards. Time for an upgrade.

I concur with it being possibly the motherboard, but also suggest it may be the CPU. I recently went through an A8-3870K in a similar experience, but I hadn't adjust voltage by nearly as much (not that 1.49V on a PhII is a lot if properly cooled). I was experiencing all the exact same symptoms are you, no luck regardless of what I tried. I thought it was the motherboard actually, since I was beta testing a BIOS for Gigabyte, so I had sent in the board for RMA along with my CPU as they were nice enough to test my CPU in another motherboard. As it turned out, my board was fine but the chip was dead :(

So if you have another board to try, I'd test you CPU in it, but not another CPU in that motherboard, just in case. I'd also stop testing with that board for the mean time, in an effort to keep anything from frying if it is damaged...

No POST beep means either the mobo or CPU is dead.

CPUs rarely die like that unless you seriously abuse them with excessive voltage, so it is most likely the motherboard is dead.

I had a problem with one of those boards. Had to unplug from wall then after plugging back in press and hold the memOK button. See if it boots. Board was very finicky with the RAM. BIOS update had compatability fixes if I remember correctly ...

Back