• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Computer takes 3-10 powercycles until it will boot.

dz187

n00b
Joined
Dec 24, 2005
Messages
39
Just built my new computer about a week ago, and it has had this problem since day one. When I cold boot it, 2/3 of the time it will turn on with the video card fan spinning at 100%, then it will give a video card error beep. However, I know this card is good, I was using it in my old system just fine. Once I fight with the computer and finally get it booted, sometimes my SSD will not show up in the BIOS and I get a No System Disk error. If I hit the reset button it may or may not find the drive, but I never get the video card problem from a warm boot. I thought this was a power supply issue, but the voltages look fine. All CPU and motherboard temperatures look good as well. Yesterday I hooked up another sata hard drive, but then the computer wouldn't post at all, it would just sit there with the hard drive LED on solid.

Today things have gotten worse. Earlier I was watching a video when the sound just cut out, then the computer froze. Next boot gives me a BSOD with a dll from my webcam being the culprit. I unplugged the webcam to see if it would stop the freezing but it didn't help. Now I can't go for more than 5 minutes without randomly locking up. No overclocking, all stock settings.

My computer:

I7-920
Antec TP-750
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
6GB G.Skill F3-12800CL8T
Sapphire 4890 vapor-x
Adata AS596B SSD
Dlink DWA-556

Power supply? Motherboard? What the hell? :confused:
 
not sure if this will help but my PC would sometimes freeze, and a cold boot would sometimes freeze at the POST screen, turns out it was a a usb device causing it
 
Yep, power supply. Hopefully you still have your old one or at least a voltage tester.
 
Go through the troubleshooting sticky to rule out the GPU (I know what you wrote but test it anyway), RAM, CPU, mobo, and PSU.
 
I RMA'ed the Antec and I was using my old X-Clio 550BL for the last week without any problems! So the power supply was the problem. However, my new TP-750 came in on Friday and upon hooking it up I was greeted with THE SAME PROBLEM! Why would this happen? The only difference I can think of is that my X-Clio has 40a on the 5v rail, 32a on the 3.3v and 1a on the -12v rail. The TP-750 is 25a, 25a, and 0.8a respectively. I can't imagine that the extra 5v and 3.3v amperage is making a difference, considering how many people are using the same Antec power supply without issue.

I'm about ready to start sacrificing electronics to the sledge hammer gods :mad:
 
I can't imagine that the extra 5v and 3.3v amperage is making a difference, considering how many people are using the same Antec power supply without issue.

Hmmm, I concur. I've recommended that exact same mobo and PSU combo at least dozen times and you're the only one so far with that issue.

Try a 3rd different PSU. My hunch right now is that Antec sent you another defective PSU.
 
Back
Top