computer started running at 90C

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by WilliamJones, Jan 14, 2019.

1. WilliamJones

WilliamJones n00b

I inherited a computer that is about 5 years old and have been running it for about 6 months. It has been running very quiet and I have never noticed the case fans running. I decided to upgrade my video card from a GTX 730 to a GTX 1060. The 730 does not have a power connection and the 1060 has an 8 pin connector. After i installed the 1060, the two case fans that blow upward are running constantly and coretemp shows the temp to be about 80C and when I do anything on the computer the temps go up to 95C.
    I have a Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H motherboard with an i5 4670 CPU. It has a coolermaster lliquid cooler with two fans that blow upwards across the radiator and out the top of the case. I noticed that the vid card fans are not even running. I replaced the 730, thinking the 1060 was generating extra heat or power (it has an 850 PS). After the 730 was re-installed the computer is still running hot and the case fans are spinning at top speed.
    Could I have compromised the liquid cooler when I laid the computer on its side to work on the vid card? Or could I have done something else?
    EDIT: Forgot to mention that I cleaned the dust out of the radiator with a can of compressed gas and that did not change anything.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  2. hititnquitit

hititnquitit Gawd

1st off dont run your rig until you do the following. your already in the range of damaging your cpu 90c+. pull the hs off of the cpu and check the thermal paste spread. does it look like the heat sink/block is making good contact with the cpu? remove the old paste with alcohol and a paper towel or clean rag. repaste with a solid brand of thermal paste. reseat the block making sure to follow the tim manufacturers directions. fire your rig back up but go directly into the bios and make sure that the fans are set to run at 100% on the radiator. this is temporary just to be sure you arent going to damage the cpu. check cpu temps in the bios. if they look normal 25-40c go ahead and log into windows. if temps are within the normal range your gtg. if your idle temps are still above 55c theres something wrong with your aio. time to get a new hsf or aio.

3. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

You either bumped the block so it isn't making good contact with the CPU or the pump isn't working correctly.