Computer Setup + Basement ?

ToddW2

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
4,017
My office is ~320sqft + vaulted ceilings and the sun bakes on it from 1pm to 6pm and it gets pretty toasty in here, and I can tell it's the computers and monitors that really help heat this place up.

I`m wondering about moving my computers to the basement (non-rack for now), and routing cable setup into my office?

How can this be done?

I would need a reboot/shut-down UPS system I believe, and what about keyboard/video/monitor/usb plugs? Can I extend those?

We are talking about 20' from desk to basement location.

Any ideas, thoughts, etc ??
 
You could water cool your equipment. Might be worth it in the long run.
 
So far, you can extend the video cables all the way down there. Unfortunately USB cables are limited to a max of 16'. So you have to use a powered USB hub or two located somewhere between the desk and basement.

And yes, make sure that the basement is not too humid or too hot during 1PM to 6PM.
 
So far, you can extend the video cables all the way down there. Unfortunately USB cables are limited to a max of 16'. So you have to use a powered USB hub or two located somewhere between the desk and basement.

And yes, make sure that the basement is not too humid or too hot during 1PM to 6PM.

Cool, a powered USB hub would probably be a good idea, and since my desks are on the far-side the equipment would be in the office itself on another UPS.

Basement stays 65-68*F even when it's 100 outside.
Humidity on other hand is around 65 too.

What UPS for basement to allow remote reboot, power cycle, etc? I have a laptop to do that with if needed. But for turning them on/off in the night/morning would want it too.
 
What UPS for basement to allow remote reboot, power cycle, etc? I have a laptop to do that with if needed. But for turning them on/off in the night/morning would want it too.

Not sure exactly. I'm guessing your current UPS don't support those features?
 
Back
Top