Computer seeming to hang on boot. Faulty hard drive? Graphics Card? Something else?

Falling Anvil

[H]ard|Gawd
Today, while doing some house cleaning, I had to shift a computer a little in order to reach some spots it was in the way of. Unfortunately, I did it while the computer was on, which is probably not the best idea, though it is something I have done before with no ill effect to my tower. Unfortunately this time it seemed to freeze. Initially I thought that something had happened to my house, but I found that my keyboard commands were also not registering I hard rebooted my computer to see what would happen, only to see a black screen even while the system was running, which I could tell thanks to sound coming through my connected headphones.

After that I decided to unplug and replug my connections, including my DVI cable. I know that my graphics card had been acting up a bit lately, it had been crashing to a black screen during hour long plus sessions of Crysis 2 and only Crysis 2 in DX9 mode(it's an old legacy part GTX 260 192 when I had the guts to my old build around) and I could only recover via hard rebooting so I thought it could have been that. I even shut off and restarted my PSU with a bit of a wait, but got one booting where I would be stuck in the starting windows screen with the logo forming as well as the rest of the computer running to no effect, and one where I had seemingly no video input and my monitor would be in idle mode.

Now, the hanging on windows screen part isn't something too unfamiliar with me, I had encountered similar issues before when my HD died, but the occasional no video input thing is something new. Trying it again, I'm getting video input from my GPU again with it hanging at start up so I'm leaning towards the culprit being the HDD(which is a Samsung F3 1tb that was already RMAed last summer or so, go figure), but I'd just like to get some input from you guys on what the problem might be before I start disconnecting data cables and such.

TL;DR Computer stuck at loading screen and/or no video input from graphics card, what do?

Since it's a mechanical drive, the bump is possibly the culprit. The bump could have also caused something to become unseated. It could have even damaged the CPU depending on how the MB was secured to the case and how the HS/F was secured to the MB.

I would try to boot from another storage device, and continue troubleshooting from there.

Hard drive seems the likelier culprit at this point yeah, I don't think it's the CPU because I can clearly hear it running. I'll probably start with that in a bit, don't really relish it running since I'm running an Antec 900 with a non-modular PSU, which makes it a jungle in there. :eek:

The game crashing leads me to believe it's the GPU. Do you have another GPU to test with? What's the specs of the rest of your PC?

Turns out it was the Hard Drive, as I suspected. Disconnected it and reinstalled Windows to another HDD and it's working so far.

Will have to keep an eye out for the GPU though, not that I mind replacing it at this point past the inconvenience factor.

Back