Computer restarts after 10 seconds

Boxerz

Limp Gawd
Hello,
I have just finished moving my PC to my new house when I finished setting up my desktop PC in my room, I could not get my PC to show any life on my dual monitors. The specs of the PC I built is in my signature.

I removed all extra components and just had my DVI and HDMI connected to the back of my dual monitors which neither monitor showed anything. I tried using a single monitor with a different combination of the DVI out or the HDMI out with each monitor and nothing booted up on either monitor.

The power works fine and all the fans are working on the heatsink, GFX card, case fans, etc. I powered up the PC a few more times which lead to nothing but then, the PC would shut off power 10 seconds after turning on, for about 1 second then turn back on repeat this loop. I unplugged everything and it would do this then after unplugged the 2 WiFi antennas on the back of the tower, the looping on and off of the PC stopped, but I could not get anything to show up on either 1 of my monitors still.

I have not found my screwdrivers to unplug my GFX card and try the integrated card since I cannot find my tools in the boxes yet. I feel a bit helpless this time around since I don't have anything to go off of, since I can't even see my BIOS or no error noises to give me any clue of what my issue is.

Of course, I do think that during the move, the bumpy car ride could of messed things up but I had padded my PC in bubble wrap and my operating system is on a fairly new SSD.

Reseat the RAM?

And really try to find your screwdrivers.

I reset the ram, then tried to start it in each of the 4 spots.

I found my screwdriver and uninstalled the GFX card and attempted the integrated GFX HDMI and DVI. I tested the monitor on my laptop and the monitor works fine.

I tried pulling out the CMOS battery and resetting it.

All the parts are fairly new, I think about 10 months since I purchased them new. At this point, I'm not sure what else I can do to test anything out. Only thing I have is an extra power supply but I don't think that would be the issue. I have another computer that is not working either but totally different chipset since it's AMD and older (phenom 2)

Most likely you need to reset the cpu heatsink. It probably got a little loose during your move.

Hello,
all the fans are working on the heatsink

When you say that the heatsink fan works did you check exactly if the cpu cooler is in direct contact with the cpu? The CPU might be getting too hot, which could lead the mobo to turn off for precaution. If you can, check the temp of your components, specifically your cpu.

Yes I have. I re-seated it but the power turning off then immediately restarting is no longer an issue. It was just restarting within the first 10 seconds and it continued that loop until I turned off the computer which is usually after the 3rd restart then waited a few seconds to try it again. Once I removed the dual-antennas from the WiFi, it stopped having that issue which leads to the current issue now. It just turns on and nothing comes on the screen still.

Did you do a barebones build? i.e stripped down the PC to just the basics?

I live next to a Fry's. I was thinking of letting them test out what's wrong. I have never had anyone else look at my computer for repairs as I have done everything myself since I have seen prices from Best Buy being outrageous. I don't know about Fry's but so far, they have won my approval for customer satisfaction but I still assume they'll charge at least $100 to look at it. Looking at that, I think I could replace my mother board with that price but then again, I don't know if it's the Mobo, the CPU, RAM, or anything else. I do have another PSU on a computer in storage which I can use to test the PSU but I don't think it's the PSU.

If I were to make a guess, I would say it's the motherboard was damaged during the move but really, it's just a guess at this point.

Try with every spare part you can find.

Also you do have a video card installed for the barebones test, correct? What motherboard do you have?

No, I took out the video card and was testing via the integrated card. Here's a copy and paste of the stuff I purchased 6 months back.

Corsair 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1333 MHz (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory (CMV8GX3M1A1333C9)

ASUS Graphics Card HD7770-1GD5 ASUS Graphics Card HD7770-1GD5

Intel Core-i5 3350P Quad-Core Processor 3.1 Ghz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i53350P Intel Core-i5 3350P Quad-Core Processor 3.1 Ghz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i53350P

Gigabyte LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX DDR3 1600 Motherboards GA-B75M-D3H Gigabyte LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX DDR3 1600 Motherboards GA-B75M-D3H

Samsung 24x SATA DVD¡ARW Internal Drive without Software, Black SH-224BB/BEBE Samsung 24x SATA DVD¡ARW Internal Drive without Software, Black SH-224BB/BEBE

XFX ATX 550 Power Supply - P1550SXXB9 XFX ATX 550 Power Supply - P1550SXXB9

No, I took out the video card and was testing via the integrated card.

Intel Core-i5 3350P Quad-Core Processor 3.1 Ghz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i53350P Intel Core-i5 3350P Quad-Core Processor 3.1 Ghz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i53350P

.......Yeah that's what I had to ask that video card question: That CPU doesn't have any onboard video. Note that current Intel motherboards with video outputs don't actually have onboard video: The CPU must have onboard video in order for those video outputs to work. The Core i5 3350P doesn't have that onboard GPU and hence its lower price and why you're not getting any video from the motherboard's video outputs.

Yes you can but not with the Core i5 3350P I recommended earlier since it does not have an onboard GPU. You would need the slightly more expensive Core i5 3450 for the onboard GPU.

So yeah, you need to be testing with a video card.

haha wow. I feel like an idiot now but prior to me removing the video card. It had not been working but I will test out the computer with the GFX card!

haha wow. I feel like an idiot now but prior to me removing the video card. It had not been working but I will test out the computer with the GFX card!

Also try testing with different RAM, PSU, and outside of the case if you haven't already. Also, reseat the CPU.

THANK YOU times a million
:)

OMG, screen has turned on with the BIOS has been reset message! Interesting enough, the DVI to HDMI did not work but the HDMI to HDMI cord works. My laptop did not have a DVI output to test out the video but prior, I had both the DVI and HDMI slots in use for dual monitor setup but neither booted.

*I pulled out the HDMI end of the DVI cable (DVI to HDMI cable) and the outside casing that protects the HDMI pins, pulled off..

THANK YOU times a million
:)

OMG, screen has turned on with the BIOS has been reset message! Interesting enough, the DVI to HDMI did not work but the HDMI to HDMI cord works. My laptop did not have a DVI output to test out the video but prior, I had both the DVI and HDMI slots in use for dual monitor setup but neither booted.

*I pulled out the HDMI end of the DVI cable (DVI to HDMI cable) and the outside casing that protects the HDMI pins, pulled off..

Sooo...time to get a new cable?

Definitely.. just kind of caught me off guard. I am so happy right now. I love this forum!

Back