Computer random bootup issue when using XMP memory? Should I lower memory speeds?

eddie500

Gawd

GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO​

G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory​

This is running fine, but I have noticed that sometimes when booting up my computer it will boot up into bios saying there is an issue and it has detuned my memory back to default speed, or something like that.

It will take about 1-5 reboots for it to finally boot up normally, then everything works fine for a while and no crashes until the same issue comes back down the road again.

It does seem to be giving me more issues lately though with this, so the problem seems to be getting worse.

It seems that it is something with my XMP profile for this memory as nothing else is over clocked.

Why would my memory be giving me issues when booting up the computer and should I consider lowing the memory speed?

Thanks

Are you running the speeds above their spec?

No, just running them at XMP and everything AUTO. I'm not over clocking anything actually.

Someone in a different post and happened to have the same motherboard, had an issue where he had to set his timings manually to fix his problems. Do you think that could possibly fix the issue with my computer?

This is just a booting issue, I never have any issues as long as my computer can boot into windows. My computer seems to lower the timings to allow me to boot into bios.

I am on an AMD system, but I do have 4 sticks of ram, 2 different brands and speeds and XMP just cause my system to random crash every couple days, manually set my timings and been rock solid since!

just to give an update.

I changed my memory voltage from AUTO to 1.35 volts, which is the XMP memory voltage rating. I never had an issue since doing this and did not try anything else.

I'm not sure why this would make a difference because I thought XMP sets the memory voltage automatically to 1.35 volts?

Do any of you see any issues with just leaving my memory voltage set to 1.35 volts? Or should I try and get it to work in AUTO?

just to give an update.

I changed my memory voltage from AUTO to 1.35 volts, which is the XMP memory voltage rating. I never had an issue since doing this and did not try anything else.

I'm not sure why this would make a difference because I thought XMP sets the memory voltage automatically to 1.35 volts?

Do any of you see any issues with just leaving my memory voltage set to 1.35 volts? Or should I try and get it to work in AUTO?
If everything is working fine as is, why tempt fate? ;)
I always set up my timings, speed and voltage manually. I don't trust auto anything unless I'm too lazy/uninterested to learn what it does.

just to give an update.

At least on the boards I have used they never set the memory voltage correctly for XMP, Ive always had to change it to the correct voltage that the sticks require.

Back