Computer only starting in safe mode

Fel

Limp Gawd
sorry if this isnt in the right section, but my pc is freezing on either the POST screen, or on the windows xp loading screen. Do i need a new hard drive or is it something else?

Download the CD image of Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Test the hard drive and see if any problems are found. DFT will run on most manufacturers' hard drives. Alternatively, you can use Seagate's SeaTools for DOS to test a Seagate or Maxtor drive. For a Western Digital drive, you could use Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS to test a Western Digital drive.

hey man thanks for the reply. last night after i did a checkdisk based on friends recommendation, it wouldnt even want to boot in safe mode. This morning i managed to get it go through though.

I do not want to risk restarting the computer again, nor do i have a cd burner(if i did, i would've already burned a copy of xp) do you have any programs that i can run through windows?

I do not want to risk restarting the computer again, nor do i have a cd burner(if i did, i would've already burned a copy of xp) do you have any programs that i can run through windows?

HDTune, while not as good as any of the apps I mentioned, should be a good judge of HDD fitness

hd looks to be ok, i ran the test for a little while, thats not my main concern right now though, i just want to get my windows up and running, stable hd or not.

i've been trying to get xp on my usb stick using this tutorial http://komku.blogspot.com/2008/11/install-windows-xp-using-usb-flash-disk.html, but as soon as i go to format t, it says tempdrive cant be run in safe mode. tried using windows 7, but as soon as i start up the usb boot tool for it, an error pops up saying something about needing admin privilges.

just spent my last 20 on this usb drive, so any help would be awesome..

Well, try running the format tools as admin. Right click and select "Run As Admin"

Back