computer on a diet?

decided on the freetech P8F161 as my mobo. emailed them about pricing as they seem to be sole retailer for their products. grrrrrrr....

::shrug::

beats the #@!! out of me.

if you want to tell me how to update mine, i will.

Commell is where it's at. They have a couple of Mini-ITX P4 motherboards right now, including a Socket 775 board. I bought my board, an LV-671MA, from GlobalAmericanInc.com with good success.

THEY HAVE A SOCKET T MINI ITX MOBO OUT?!?!?!?!

make way for an overweight overexcited geek!!!!!

Yeah, LV-672 or something, has PCI Express too. Sounds like a cooling nightmare, especially in your situation...

at least i am not in the uk... they want 220 quid for it over there... *snort* that's about $400 these days.

xonik said:
Yeah, LV-672 or something, has PCI Express too. Sounds like a cooling nightmare, especially in your situation...

whoops. forget that then... i will look for a s478 board instead.

im gonna have to ask ya to stop posting over and over!!! just edit a post!!! this is 3 pg's long, and all it would take is about 1 pg!! it took forever to keep reading them...think before you type, dont just type everything you see.... any ways, after that rant here's my idea

go back to the aluminum case design, possibly windows etc, but make the case a heatsink... make a copper block, maybe 1" high as the base, and then put the aluminum case as the "fins" attach them, and then you can indent/etch your case, it will increase surface area and make it look cool... as for the rest of it, i would get a notebook hdd/cd-rom as you mentioned, PSU would be hard, but doable, that will be the expensive one...

starhawk said:
if you don't like it, you don't have to pay me any attention.QUOTE]

now on to the other issue.

the idea that you have is quite good... or it would be if i knew even a little elementary metalworking. that's why i plan on using lexan. it is easy to cut. it is also about 1/2 the weight and 1/2 the cost of 6061 T6 aluminum, and even more cheap than 2024 T3 aluminum, which is what i would be using here.

1 24"x24"x0.083" sheet of 2024 T3 aluminum costs just over $40 where i shop for it. 1 24"x24"x0.125" sheet of polycarbonate sheet (lexan) costs just over $20 at the same shop.

for the psu, i am planning on using some sort of dc/dc converter and a 100w external globaltek psu... thing is, i don't think they sell the converters, just the psu's. any suggestions, anyone?

Problem is, 1/8" lexan isn't terribly strong or stiff. You might want to consider this before buying.

As for the converters, you can use any AC-DC supply with

the right DC output voltage
sufficient current handling (or more simply, equal or greater wattage)
a compatible connector.

That said, many notebook power adapters are out there that might work for you.

not enough room for 1/4" lexan... unless i use the router on most of it to get out enough space for stuff...

then again... if i am going to do a 2" case... i guess it would work... and be somewhat more practical too.

and, yes, most ac-dc converters would work, *but* i am less than partial to the idea of poking around with an ac-dc converter, four molex connectors, an atx connector, a p4 connector, leafing through my 1000+ page a+ cert book trying to figure out which lead is which while simultaneously attempting to keep a 200+ F soldering iron from impacting the part of me that will (hopefully) someday provide my mother with grandchildren.

any idea where i could get a dc-dc converter like the ones typically used for cases with external psu's?

tho my backup plan is a matx psu in its own box, with all its cables running thru some old blue medical tubing that i have.

not only that(stiffness/strength), but if you were to spend the 40 over the 20, that's $20 less you have to spend on a heatsink.....but copper's alot too... any way thats what i would do, if u attend college or highschool you SHOULD have a metal shop that have equpment to do it all... and nice teachers to help! :p

With 1/6 of your 1.5" spec being the case itself (x2 of 1/8" lexan), your chances of staying with the original design is even less likely. Your intentions are admirable, but I think it's time to be realistic. With the given budget, a 2" thick computer is much more feasible and still a good accomplishment. Also, it'll allow you to make the case narrower and shallower.

I think 1/8" lexan or acrylic is possible, but you'd have to design some braces into the case. Without braces, it's almost certain to crack.

I don't know if it has anything to do with what you're looking for, but an Xbox power supply is kindof thin and stuff. I got a butchered xbox here (it's a sad story really) and it has a single molex connector. But the motherboard connection looks diffrent so it probably wouldn't work at all. And I'm sure it doesn't put out much power. But they are only about 20 something bucks online somewheres. It seems the more I type the more I doubt it'll work for anything, oh well.

grave digger would be best for the compaq armada m300 that my friend just brought in.

:eek: :eek: omfg. even my mother's old p1 90mhz comp was better than this. i pity this poor kid, and i don't really want to see his reaction to my explanation that his computer's spyware infestation is so bad, it's terminal.

starhawk said:
grave digger would be best for the compaq armada m300 that my friend just brought in.

:eek: :eek: omfg. even my mother's old p1 90mhz comp was better than this. i pity this poor kid, and i don't really want to see his reaction to my explanation that his computer's spyware infestation is so bad, it's terminal.

Terminal? beyond reformating?

nope. that's what i told him i would have to do. so much spyware and crap on there.

You're probably using MSN :rolleyes:

The only thing I can think of as far as this thing being practical is being able to mount it under a desk. What would be really cool is if the bottom was a window and you had lights coming out. That sounds like an awesome idea to me! I'll add any other ideas I can think of if I ever do think of one...

no, he (it is indeed a friend) is using ie.

he just never had adaware on there, and now it's way too late.

thinking now of using a shuttle xpc mobo (they sell them) instead of bothering with free tech.

i am thinking the shuttle fb51 mobo. it has what i need.

hmm... how tall is a half-height agp card?

independantvariable said:
Mommy can I have 1500 so I can build a flat computer..get a job move out..how old are you?

yeah, most annoying thread ever, too.

doesn't matter. she's the self-enforced cpu to the computer of my life... she directs. period.

ness1469 said:
yeah, most annoying thread ever, too.
:rolleyes: gee, thanks.

if you don't want to hear it, don't waste my time and space saying so, just go somewhere else! i'd make a few suggestions on where to go if i didn't know that the moderators would just slice it out of my post.

back on topic... i have decided on the name for this thing. it will be called "bahro" (pronounced baah roe).

the myst series features a race called the d'ni (pronounced 'dun ee') and focuses primarily on a man named Atrus, who is half d'ni and one of the last of his race. d'ni is also the name of their language. bahro in that language means "beast people". since this comp is going to be el-cheapo, i have this feeling that the name will fit quite well.

not a solution. i already have a laptop. it's crap. besides, i have been wanting to do modding for a while yet... this is my chance.

btw, just to get a laugh here... while i am working on this i am listening to the myst iii exile soundtrack... hehe.

i'd write something here in d'ni, but my d'ni is pretty crappy at best...

here is the conceptual... did it in coreldraw.

Conceptual1%20%28jpg%29.JPG

Back