Computer Naming Conventions

Landmine

Limp Gawd
So what is your computer naming convention? I'm looking to rename a messy network and wanted to see what other people have come up with.

explosives, at least for the personal stuff. laptop's currently named claymore2 (claymore the original died)

I use a food/kitchen theme

Some names of current servers for example:
gumbo
catfish
hotwings
spoon
colandar

The way we do it is x####env-TAG
x = S for server, D desktop, N notebook, P printer etc etc
#### = Individual site code for each different branch.
env = PD production, DEV...
Tag is the local asset tag number.

Very good system for naming I find at a larger company. Lets you know where an asset is and what kind of product it is.

I don't run anything big, so I just name mobile devices after ships from Sci-Fi stories, servers after military installations, and desktops after planets for fun. Theres enough choices that I can pick something memorable and related to the purpose of each device. I only manage two printers, so they keep their default "brand-model" names. The same with switches, APs, IP cams, and routers.

For large networks, I'm a fan of the recommended descriptive naming convention. DC01-####, PRINTR##-####, etc

User's last name and the model number of the computer is what I have stuck with.
Older names are all over the place, misspelled etc.

I used to use the users name, but employees come and go. So I just give the PC a generic name now. And throw a Dymo label on the front of the PC. And make a spreadsheet for myself to track who has what.
CLIENTBUSINESSNAMESHORT-OFFICEXX
eg. Joe's Repair Shop PC 1 becomes JRP-PC01
Where XX is a number. I figure out someway to shorten the client's business name.

Servers usually I just go by the OS level to keep it simple since almost all of my clients only have 1 or 2 servers.
CLIENTBUSINESSNAMESHORTENED-SERVEROSLEVEL
eg. Joe's Repair Shop SBS 2011 server becomes JRP-SBS2011

At home and colo I've used Star Trek names

worf and odo - Windows Domain controllers
picard - Game server
riker - Web server
leah and geordi - DNS servers
data - File server
quark - Bitcoin daemons
spock - Database

Enterprise, Voyager and Defiant are the virtual hosts running these guests. They all run ntp to keep the clocks correct across all of them, which is round-robin DNS resolved to Starfleet. So the machines literally contact starfleet to get the correct time.

I use a desginated prefix + name of relevence.
Example for my lanparty i used to run FANG - Falls area network gamers. all boxes were
FANG-FILESERVER, FANG-GAMESERVER FANG-PFSENSE etc etc.

At work I do same thing just slightly more complicated
CHC - Community Health Care so everything is like CHC-BILLING-01 CHC-LAB-02
servers are SRV-DC-01 SRV-EXCHANGE etc etc.

Greek / Roman Gods for me: Apollo 2 (NAS , first one died), Zeus (main box), Athena (Laptop)

I name my drives a name appropriate to their letter assignment.
C = CrucialM4
D = Data
E = Eclipse
F = Faultline
I = Integrity
J = Jarvis

depends on the situation, when i worked in the school board i used location number - room number - computer number

so

7241-301-01

but now on my colo network I use descriptive names of the locations of the physical servers for the VMWare names and the names of planets from star wars for my vm server names

so C6100-01-02 would be Dell C6100 server #1 blade #2

At home I use the CPU name on desktops, laptop model if its a laptop, use if its a server (mail, nas, app, etc)

At work, we have a naming convention for our areas on campus ex:0001S123456D
00 to 99 for location (01 is Bristol, 11 is LA, 06 is Charlotte, etc)
01 to 99 for production area (TV production) AA to ZZ for general areas,99 is execs, LL-loaner laptop
S for the domain type (S-Scoring, C-Corp, M-developers, B-Broadcast, H-hosted VM, L-local VM)
123456 - machine asset tag
D-desktop, L-Laptop, V-virtual machine, B-blade, P-PCCan

little over 4500 workstations..works well.

depends on the situation, when i worked in the school board i used location number - room number - computer number

We used that at our school as well. It worked great until they renovated the school over the summer. They demolished one wing and added two more, then renumbered every room.

Guess what the Intern got to do when he got back.

When I was Bitcoin mining, I labeled mine as, "'Mine_PC1', 'Mine_PC2', etc". If I'm setting up a test build I call it, "Test_PC". Sometimes I call my main rig, "Main_PC" and my family PC.. well.. "Family_PC". :D

Back