Computer issues...

Cronik93

n00b
My computer started to slow down and hang or freeze sometime ago. It's VERY random. I mean my computer would go minutes to a month without having a single problem. Most of the time it's during or after gaming and multitasking.(Browsing the internet while I let a game install). Sometimes if I do too much at once my computer will hang. I never use to have that problem.

When it does that I have to restart my computer. Sometimes I get a "Disk Read error" and my HDD won't show up in my bios. At times I need go into my case and unplug and and plug back in the power connector just to get my PC to boot into Windows(All of this has lead to my OS being corrupted and requiring me to reinstall my OS). I switched HDD's and cables and that didn't work. One time all my drives(DVD burner, etc.) would stop working when I tried burning discs and reinstalling my operating system and they wouldn't show up in my bios. Unplugged and plugged them back in.

I got tired of unplugging and plugging back in my HDD so I used a modular cable instead. I thought it worked...

Recently I've been getting random hangs and my comp BSOD'd twice when I was playing Planetside 2 today. Last night I had little problems. I can play some other games and have zero problems. I tried playing Gothic 4 a couple months ago and that game froze on me. No response at all. I even waited 5 minutes... Had to restart my comp.

My comp isn't overheating. I ran memtest 10 times in a row. My HDD isn't making a clicking sound and I ran a test on that. Now I'm trying to figure out if it's my motherboard or power supply... Unplugging the plugging back in the SATA cable doesn't work but it works with the power connectors.

I'm so unsure... Some things sound like a motherboard issue. I had to replace my power supply once because the fan was making an unbearable clicking sound.

Here's my mobo and PSU:

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130290

Power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

what's the full specs of your system?
imo sounds like psu i've had similar issues that turned out to be the psu

thoroughly test the hdd. also you can get a SMART utility and have it check the tables on the hdd.

what's the full specs of your system?
imo sounds like psu i've had similar issues that turned out to be the psu

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 4GB of DDR3

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6870

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)

Motherboard: MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

Back