Computer hardware problem..

slaya

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey so recently the rig in my sig stopped working. To be exact, when I turn on the power button the fans, leds, and hard drive turn on, but nothing appears on the screen. Then, 10seconds later the computer shuts itself off. All this while no BEEPS come from the speaker.

I've tried to reset the CMOS with no resolution. My next step was removing all the peripharals, including the video card, but the symptoms remain exactly the same, in that it shuts off after 10seconds. I removed the CPU and it doesn't smell burnt at all. I should add that there is a 5month old Antec power supply (i believe around 500 watts). So i'm going to assume its not the power supply.

My question is weather the problem lies in the CPU or motherboard, or what other suggestions or help you guys may have.

Thanks

is that 500 watter powering the rig in your sig or a more . . . . . modern rig?

It's powering the rig in my sig, I know it's an old computer, but it fine for my needs.

Everything in the sig is accurate except the powersupply, which is a more powerfull 500watter.

Check the "Basic Troubleshooting Guide" sticky on what to do when the PC does not POST.

Alright, I just tried that and it the problem remains the same.

I've narrowed it down to either the motherboard or the CPU.. I'm leaning towards it being the motherboard, but i'd like a second opinion?

Thanks

Did you get any error beeps?

Did the PSU pass the paperclip trick?

Back