Computer Freezes/Locks when trying to install intel network adapter driver

oneils

Limp Gawd
UPDATE - VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION IN POST 6 AND 7.

Hi there,

I just build a new system. Components are:

Ram: 16gb gskill 1866 ddr3 ram
Motherboard: Asus z97 Pro (wifi ac)
video card: PNY GTX 770 (nvidia 337.88 driver)
psu: evga supernova 1,000 watt
cpu: i5 4690K
HD 1: 2 TB black western digital 7200rpm (new, os installed on this)
HD 2: 1 TB seagate 7200 rpm drive (old drive with my steam install/games)

When I had everything setup, I installed windows 8.1. During the installation, it detected the wifi adapter of the motherboard, and asked me if it wanted to connect to internet. So I connected.

When windows finished installing, I:

1. did three rounds of windows updates.
2. Installed the latest nvidia driver
3. Installed Intel chipset driver (from asus website)
4. installed intel "management engine components" as it was on the same download page as the chipset driver (from asus website)
5. Installed AI suite (asus monitoring/oc software).

Part 5 is where it got a little weird. The ai suite comes with a bunch of usb 3.0 drivers. The install froze when trying to install the usb drivers. I reset the computer and everything seemed to be fine.

Next, I tried to install a driver for the ethernet adapter. The driver from Asus page doesn't work, and the driver from intel's page doesn't work. Each time I try to install them, the whole system freezes/locks up. I can't do anything other than a complete reset.

Should I disable the wifi adapter when installing this?

edit: this is what I see in device manager
zuX.png

Can't update the driver from the device manager at all. Think it is broken? Or is it something in bios that I need to enable?

Last edited:
Responding to my own thread to give an update.

So far, I have:

1. Updated the board's BIOS, and
2. Reinstalled Windows
3. updated windows (this included an optional update for NVidia drivers).
(have not installed any chipset drivers yet).

that didn't work, still can't install the driver for the lan adapter. The system just freezes.

I've tried disabling the wifi adapter - but that does nothing.

I wonder if there is a driver in the windows update that simply doesn't work with this board?

I'm slightly confused, (which is normal for me), but does the Ethernet adapter not work with the base installation of Windows as you are doing Windows updates. Or are you trying to get some other adapter to work, like the wireless adapter or some special functions from the manufacturers drivers?

I'm slightly confused, (which is normal for me), but does the Ethernet adapter not work with the base installation of Windows as you are doing Windows updates. Or are you trying to get some other adapter to work, like the wireless adapter or some special functions from the manufacturers drivers?

No, it doesn't work with base installation (Windows 8.1). So, perhaps 8.1 (period with or without updates) is not compatible with the adaptor or at least Asus' implementation of it?

edit: I'm just trying to get the lan adapter to work (Ethernet). Nothing I do seems to work.

Just bumping my thread to say that I have emailed Asus support. Hoping to hear back from them within the next couple of days. I'll update the thread on any progress.

Disable the ethernet in Device manager, reboot, and re-enable it. When it asks for a drive, point it to the latest Asus driver.

Disable the ethernet in Device manager, reboot, and re-enable it. When it asks for a drive, point it to the latest Asus driver.

Thanks. I've got to the point where I re-enable it. But the device manager doesn't actually ask for a driver. Should I go ahead and click on the device and update the driver manually?

edit: pointed to the driver myself...

IT WORKED!

You are a ninja!

Such a simple solution. wow. haha.

Back