• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Computer for the Wife

Perilous

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Oct 10, 2009
Messages
1,162
My wife just started back school and I am tired of her tying up my rig. So I am building her a computer in the next couple weeks. All I know is that she wants it to light up, be nearly as fast as mine and be girly.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

School Work, Browsing, Plants vs. Zombies types of games.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$400 including monitor.

3) Where do you live?

Northeast ohio. 1 hour from microcenter.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU/ MOBO, RAM, Hard drive, Monitor, Case, Keyboard Mouse

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Coolermaster Extreme Power 650(i think), Saphirre HD 4650

6) Will you be overclocking?

Yes.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

19" 1368 x 768 Acer

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

2 weeks

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.

Nothing special needed.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

Windows 7 64

I plan on upgrading my computer in the next few months to a 1055t with a Crosshair IV Formula or Extreme( if it ever releases.) so this may even be a temporary solution. When I do upgrade I may sell what I buy now or I may sell my old parts 955be Gigabye 790fxt from my sig.

I was looking at an Athlon x4 630 combo with a MSI 785g AM3 Motherboard. I am hoping the gurus here at [ H ] can help me narrow down my selections.
 
What's the most resource-intensive game or program that your wife will be using?

Are you against buying a prebuilt system (from, say, Dell or HP)?
 
I would rather not buy prebuilt simply because I may be swapping out whatever I buy now with my phenom in a month or two. Also she wants her case to light up and be "pretty".

Honestly she will only be running Microsoft office, watching a few movies, and browsing the internet.
 
I'd strongly consider just grabbing a $430 Dell Vostro with a monitor.
 
$90 - Athlon II X4 630 + MSI 785GM-P45 AM3 785G mATX Motherboard
$43 - Patriot PSD32G13332 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$55 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$110 = Hanns·G HW-191APB Black 19" DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
---
Total: $298 plus tax and shipping

Choose your own case and KB/M:
$40 - Cooler Master Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$45 - Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z ATX Case
$50 - Cooler Master Elite 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$50 - Thermaltake WingRS 201 VJ60001N2Z ATX Case
$50 - NZXT M59 ATX Case
$45 - Cooler Master Elite 341 RC-341C-KKN1-GP mATX Tower Case
 
Back
Top