Computer Crashing... need advice

HyperTension

[H]ard|Gawd
Current PC listed in specs, not overclocked, and I've been getting radom BSOD's over the past 6 months. Started off as maybe once or twice in a month, but now its at least that same weekly...

I"m pretty sure it's my SSD thats having issues (was reading that early HyperX SSD had some issues)... I have updated my drivers via Kingston with no success..

I thing there is some program in widows that will allow me to see what all happened prior to my BSOD... but I have no idea what it is, or if there is a better on that I can get off the net.

Oh.. when I reboot the PC, I also have to frequently redo my boot array in BIOS, as it "looses" my SSD and then reverts to another drive..

Thanks in advance!

what does the bsod error code say?

in computer panel, system, advanced, start up and recovery settings, uncheck the auto restart. or find out where the log is saved.

It's only BSOD'd twice on me (well, my wife while I was at work). The two biggest events that are happening are either a hard lock needing at least manual reboot, or on rarer occasions, unplug for 15 seconds, reconnect, reboot to BIOS, place my SSD back in the boot order, reboot and start over

If you have a spare hard drive, install Windows 7 in trial mode on that drive. Remove the SSD completely. See if the crashes occur then.

Also, do the normal Memtest testing as well.

I'll download / run memtest. I'll move data around tonight and get W7 installed on the 640 drive and post back..

Thanks for help!

Late entry.... joys of work.

Ok, ran MemTest, and anything over stock 1333 results in compete failure for my memory. However, set to default, ran for 6 hours without incident. No luck with stabilizing the memory with increased voltage, no luck with running any XMP profiles. Rather worrisome, I'm not sure if I'm getting random errors via memory while gaming / OS usage that causes the failures. I've increased the voltage to 1.6, and the timings default to 8-9-8-24 (have not changed)

I'm going to be testing the SSD tonight. I'll post on those results.

**Update** Ran GSmart Control to SSD, 3 times, all with no errors posted. I'm leaning towards the memory (Patriot 1600LL, 2x4GB)currently. I have yet to see both modules fail so completely with any type of O/C.

**Update** BIOS settings as follows:
Running latest via EVGA website: E689
ACPI Auto: Disabled
ACPI Hibernation: Disabled
SATA Mode Controller: Enabled, set to AHCI
SATA Mode Controller Speed: Gen3

At this point, I'll take any help I can get. As I said before, I'm leaning towards the memory, but I'd really appreciate any opinions on this.

Last edited:
It's the memory....

Loaded up resource monitor, and with just general web browsing, OS, I get minimal faults.

As soon as I open up steam, I start getting anywhere from 50-200+ hard faults/second.

Sigh......

Back