• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

computer constantly freezing

Boyo

Gawd
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
626
my computer is freezing up on me all the time and I've gotten the BSOD with a Machine_Check_Exception error. I know it's a hardware problem, and I've narrowed it down to my CPU, mobo, or video card. I was planning an entire new build, but I wanted to give my old rig to my father. Not sure what to do because it's an outdated rig, socket 939. Any suggestions?

AMD 4400+
Asus A8N32-SLI
evga 7800
 
have you tested your ram? did is just freezing or did you mess with the bios B4?
 
Haven't touched the bios in quite some time and I am not overclocking on this rig anymore. I did Memtest for 5 passes and no errors. Any other suggestions?

Am I basically screwed since it's an old system?
 
Try the video card in a different system. Try another card in that system. That'll rule out the GPU from those three.

In addition, rerun memtest again:
Download Memtest86+ v4.00 or whatever the latest version is, unzip it, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Let Memtest+ run for at least three hours on each stick of RAM separately as well as test the RAM all together. Go for a full 24 hours if you want to be completely sure that the RAM is not a problem. If you start seeing errors, than your RAM is defective or you have incorrect settings for the RAM.
 
Back
Top