Computer can't see my SSD

tpfaff

2[H]4U
I've been running windows 8 lately and it keeps freezing on my desktop. I had to power down my machine by holding the power button manually. Upon reboot, windows tried to check my disk and it would always hang at 40% indefinitely. From there, I tried the reset and the refresh options, which would also hang at their own respective percentages. So screw it, I'll reinstall windows. I get into the thing where it asks what drive you want to install it on. I select my ssd, and choose format. I get an error that the formatting has failed. Ok...So now I try the delete option...also fails. I rebooted and tried again, now I can't see the SSD at all. I can't see it in ubuntu, windows, or bios. What happened?:confused:

When they go they go.

Can you try flashing a new firmware to it? Thats about the last thing you can try.

What happened?
I'm sorry for your loss but on the plus side if you're still running a 60gb ocz agility 2 ssd, this is your chance to get something decent. :)

Good Luck!

Any way I can confirm it's dead? It seemed more to me like this was windows 8 fault rather than my ssd. I'm not sure how to flash a new firmware when I can't see the device anywhere.

I've been running windows 8 lately and it keeps freezing on my desktop. I had to power down my machine by holding the power button manually. Upon reboot, windows tried to check my disk and it would always hang at 40% indefinitely. From there, I tried the reset and the refresh options, which would also hang at their own respective percentages. So screw it, I'll reinstall windows. I get into the thing where it asks what drive you want to install it on. I select my ssd, and choose format. I get an error that the formatting has failed. Ok...So now I try the delete option...also fails. I rebooted and tried again, now I can't see the SSD at all. I can't see it in ubuntu, windows, or bios. What happened?:confused:

I think there are 2 bugs here:
1. If your motherboard supports hot swapping in BIOS, turn it on and leave it on. I had my setting off and boy did that cause problems. See here:
http://scottiestech.info/2012/09/01/windows-8-freezes-or-hangs-the-fix-that-worked-for-me/

2. I believe the 840 can't handle continuous drive resets.
After my second 840 died I'm going to stick with the MS StorAHCI and not use the Intel RST driver. If you see the errors "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort#, was issued" or "The IO operation at logical block address # for Disk # was retried." be careful with your SSD. These errors also occurred when I had hot swapping disabled, but now happened only if a program was active on the SSD while I put the system to sleep. The last time I tried to put my system to sleep my 840 died.

Once the BIOS can't see your drive, it's effectively dead.

EDIT: My system drive is a 256GB M4. This has seen half a dozen firmware updates and is seemingly unaffected by these errors.

Last edited:
Well, it's working again in some way at least. I just turned on my pc and the windows 8 recovery is running again, which was on my ssd. Of course I just expect it to hang forever again and now I need to power off the system manually again which will probably not be helpful at all. Still can't see it in bios, but I'm trying to install it with the windows iso again and now it can see the drive! Should I just go ahead and try to install it? Anyone have any ideas in light of this new evidence?

Well, it's working again in some way at least. I just turned on my pc and the windows 8 recovery is running again, which was on my ssd. Of course I just expect it to hang forever again and now I need to power off the system manually again which will probably not be helpful at all. Still can't see it in bios, but I'm trying to install it with the windows iso again and now it can see the drive! Should I just go ahead and try to install it? Anyone have any ideas in light of this new evidence?

Download CrystalDiskInfo and see what it shows for your SSD. Sounds like it's on the way out. Also make sure the firmware is current.

Why would you deal with a flaky SSD?

You're just asking for trouble.

It's on it's way out.

Just buy something different and leave OCZ out of the equation.

I bought a new drive, and am getting a free agility 3 from OCZ. What are the odds on recovering files from a busted ssd? I just need one tiny file from it :(

What are the odds on recovering files from a busted ssd?
If the BIOS can't see the drive you have no chance of recovery.

Would you like the "why you always need a current back-up" speech now or later? :D

bios can't see it, but the windows install cd can see it from time to time. What am I supposed to make of that?

I don't have one in front of me but do ssd's have the same removable pcb that you can swap for a new one or is it one slab of memory with connections?

but do ssd's have the same removable pcb that you can swap for a new one or is it one slab of memory with connections?
No. The controller is on the same board as the flash.

Same thing happened with my OCZ. I put it in another computer to update the firmware and the problem was fixed.

Back