Computer Cabinet 2.0

Hagrid

[H]F Junkie
So I am redoing my cabinet and made a whole new one. I have a 9900k/32gb for a few cameras(4k), a Xeon E5-2620/16gb for fileserver/backup stuff.
I will have 2 motherboards that will be dedicated for mining. I want to have 2 backup miners(Ryzen 3600/1700 16gb) that will run WCG when not mining.
I would like to add a few more dedicated WCG machines. So far I have a 5960x/32gb. I was going to run Linux on the dedicated machines.
The miners are a I3-8100/Ryzen 1200 and running nicehash. I do not need as many since I sold most of my cards. :( I have 7 left.

Question:
How much CPU does mining really take and would it be fine to even pop a few cards on them if I got more? How will WCG run?
I don't want to make either run like crap, but if they can coexist fine, even better. Just seeing if anybody has tried both and noticed no difference.

Also would it be better to get a quad cpu machine instead of a few 8/16 core machines?

Thanks!

I do boinc + gpu mining on all my rigs at the same time. Typically i only reseve a single core for 1 or more gpu and the rest is boinc.

This rig for example is 3 radeon VII and a ryzen 1700
And it has 15 of 16 threads on boinc without losing any hashrate.

16257797711997781967308052722056.jpg

To clarify I typically run boinc on CPU only while mining on GPU I have not tried to mine on the CPU and run BOINC CPU at the same time so i dont' know how that would go but I think it would suffer on both ends.

Actually right now I do run some boinc GPU while mining on GPU at the same time.
I have my WCG setup to only pull in GPU tasks for Open Pandemics. These tasks only come in periodically so most of the time the full GPU is available to mine on. When get an OP task for my GPU in boinc it both mines and runs the OP task on the GPU at the same time. The GPU boinc task i would estimate takes mayb twice as long to complete and my hashrate drops about 25% during this time so I am really not losing all that much hash even while running the WCG GPU task. That and the fact that these tasks are only sporadic means its a pretty small hit to my overall mining hashrate, but at the end of the day I am getting a really decent amount of WCG points doing it. Other than the WCG GPU though I pretty much only select boinc to run CPU tasks while I am mining and I don't run CPU in the miner.

Yeah, I don't do any CPU mining. I just wanted to make sure that running WCG won't affect the mining much if at all. Maybe run it at 75%.

Yeah, I don't do any CPU mining. I just wanted to make sure that running WCG won't affect the mining much if at all. Maybe run it at 75%.

Yeah you need very very little CPU power to keep your GPU's mining. I would just set boinc to -1 from total threads

Back